Tibetan Greenhouse Dugout Bench #2

2 Conversations


h2g2 Friends of Tibet

Stuff to be found on Bench #2...

Today Rocked!

Let me tell you a little bit about today...

Today rocked! I spent two hours with several hundred other students fighting for what we believe in; and it made an impact, if not on the Government (yet), then certainly on the hundreds of people we passed in the street, whose cars we stopped, the hundreds of other students we passed at the University, the dozens of police and, most importantly, it impacted on us. It taught us that together we are strong, together we are good for each other.

We sang, we clapped, we smiled, we listened, we squirted each other with water, we shared sunscreen, we chanted, we talked, we ran up and down the middle of Queen Street like raging spanish bulls, and we laughed. We felt strong and we shared our strength with each other... And what's the most important word up there? 'We!'

Muhammed Ali once said, 'Me? We!' I have always taken this to mean together we are strong; that 'I' am a part of 'us'; to express the intrinsic value of the collective spirit, something that can't be boiled down into a monetary concept because it transcends that - it is joy and it is love... and it is so much more than I am able to express.

I want you to feel the elation I have felt, to share a moment with hundreds of other people, and there are many, many opportunities to do this, all over the world, virtually anytime - a chance to revel in the comaraderie, to feel a part of something, a chance that is all too rare in the society we live in now. Despite our big cities, we all walk around in isolation - we don't even know our neighbours anymore. Rather than being a bunch of feeling, thinking humans living together, we are becoming more like a group of robots, who just happen to be existing in the same space-time.

So reach out, connect with others - raise your voice above the sound of the traffic! If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.


A week after this was written, another student protest, which did basically identical things, was attacked by police, who arrested over a dozen students sitting peacefully on the pavement outside the police station. One student was hospitalised and several others required medical attention. The right to peaceful protest is being highlighted in complaints being made to the Police Complaints Authority and the Government of New Zealand.

Many thanks to Spanner for a sense of how the world looks when the scales fall off.

The Wonder Gap

For children, the world is full of wonder. Life is a marvellous continuum of strange new experiences. Every day brings with it a novel treasure, a new source of excitement.

Then, at some point in our lives, we lose this gift. We cease to wonder. We worry. We have doubts and fears. But, as if those feelings are all that we are prepared to take from a world beyond our control, we push our sense of wonder aside, lock it away in a chest with other childish things, no longer useful, a toy in a world of tools.

A commuter train rocks, and a thousand newspapers fold. A screech of brakes snaps the locks of a thousand briefcases. The train disgorges its cargo of dull-eyed drones, who trudge the same tired steps day in and day out, every day of their tiresome work-a-day lives. They stand in line. They shuffle in line. A thousand tweeds are etched into twice as many retinas; though none could describe the person in the suit. A baby or a blade of grass is just as likely to be trampled by the herd as it migrates into the city, then home again to the suburbs.

But who are these people? They really are people, you know; although it seems impossible to believe. Look inside their heads... carefully. You'll miss it the first time. But look closely. Saw off the tops of their heads, and poke around inside. Every stuffy skull, crammed full of dust and cobwebs, contains the child each used to be; and every one of those children would rather skip and hopscotch home.

So why are we so dull? What made us, the laughing kids we really are, into such dullards, into such cattle? Whatever this parasite is, it blinds us to our misfortune and turns us into beetles, who go about our beetle business without a sense of having the life sucked out of us, without a sense that life should be more fun!

Something has made a hole in our sense of wonder. Like the holes in our planet's ozone, there are gaps in our natural ability to wonder. Just as surely as the ozone holes spell bad news for our planet, the wonder gaps mean doom for the people we once hoped to be.

Julia Butterfly Hill is a person whose sense of wonder is so strong that she lived in a tree for two whole years. She thinks that trees are so wonderful that it's a terrible shame to saw them up to make kitchen cabinets and toilet paper. They are big... huge, magnificent things - living things - that make us feel like tiny ants. They live their whole lives standing in one place, yet their relationship to the world is every bit as rich and complex as ours. They struggle, they fight, they eat, they breathe, they fall down and die... and from their dust grow new trees. They succeed or fail according to their particular strengths or weaknesses, and are a part of life in a way that human beings should rightly envy - or, more healthily, admire... like Julia Butterfly Hill.

Yet few of us wonder about trees or the bright young human who sat in a tree for two whole years, which is a very sad thing, and a sure sign that there are serious gaps in our ability to wonder.

Space, the final frontier (as we used to say), is almost wonderful enough to make you swallow your gum. The very idea of not being on Earth, of floating about with your hair sticking straight out and being able to spit forever, is almost too wondrous to believe. It should, at the very least, give you hiccups. Half a century ago, the idea of going to space was so amazingly fanciful that to suggest the possibility without a wink was almost a sign of madness. But we've done exactly that. We, the best-dressed apes of planet Earth, have been in space, are in space. We've played games and written graffiti on the Moon (we've done some science too). We've built robots that have flown to other planets, and even now are speeding towards the great beyond. For a fleeting moment all this stuff captured our imaginations; and we went mental... and rightly so. It was like finding out your dog could really talk, but had been playing dumb as a joke. It was like finding the label on the back of life really did say 'Fun Times For All'.

Then space fell through the wonder gap; and now hardly anyone cares... about other planets or robots that are so far away the top of your head would fall off before you could really imagine it, racing off to say how cool we are to creatures we can't begin to imagine. When things go great we don't bother reading about it or even looking at the pictures. When things go wrong, and bright young men and women look so crestfallen it should nearly break your heart, we shrug (perhaps with a mean little smirk) and tune to something we know will make us laugh, because we've seen it a thousand times before.

A lot of people grumble about the cost of doing wonderful things in space: It's a lot of money when it's all in a heap; but it's peanuts when it's still in our pockets. We lose more every day down the back of the couch. Who wouldn't put a Dollar or a Pound, a Drachma, a Rupee, or a Shekel into a machine that revealed such wonders? How can we not care that people work and play beyond the sky? How can we fail to thrill to the notion of our message in a bottle being read by something frighteningly weird or by someone instantly recognizable as kin.

How can we afford to sleepwalk through life, when we have so little of it? Go mental! Find a bug! Blow spit bubbles on the train! Wake up to the things that are wonderful, for nearly everything is. Wake up... before it's too late!

The Flowers

The flowers of the mind are a very beautiful thing.

The tiger she stalks the night

Her tail a curious question

To catch or not to catch?

How long have you lived

Rugged, tigronification of the

Cruel harsh grass.

Where were you?


Many thanks to werekitty.


Back to Tibetan Greenhouse Dugout

Back to Tibetan Greenhouse Dugout Main bench (#1)

On to Bench #3,
Bench #4



A5245805

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A267653

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more