Tell us about your travels

1 Conversation


When April comes, people long to go travelling. That view was expressed as long ago as the 14th Century by English poet Geoffrey Chaucer. In the Prologue to his Canterbury Tales, Chaucer describes a motley group of pilgrims who gathered at the Tabard Inn in Southwark, to travel to the shrine of St Thomas a Becket in Canterbury. These pilgrims were not particularly pious and treated the journey as a holiday, telling each other tales on the way. Some of these tales have been retold and adapted ever since. If you're interested, you can see a version of Chaucer's original Prologue here.


We have different means of transport now - trains, planes and ships, while Chaucer's pilgrims travelled on horseback - and we go to more exotic locations. How many of you have been to every continent except Antarctica?  Have any of you been to Antarctica? Nevertheless, Chaucer's words still resonate. At least in the Northern Hemisphere, April is a good time to go travelling. The light hours are lengthening, the weather is improving, plants are growing and birds are singing. We shake off our winter sloth and go exploring.


To celebrate this April spirit, we at the Create Team invite you to send us accounts of your travels. You can do this in a couple of ways.


  • You could write a factual account of a place you have visited; or of a favourite walk, cycle ride or train journey for the Edited Guide.

  • Or you could adopt a more personal approach for the Post, telling us about that time you were stranded on a tropical island in a hurricane, or the day you met the love of your life in a mountain hut.

We're waiting to hear your tales, and we welcome prose, poetry and photos.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87788353

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more