A Conversation for Things to Do if You Are Stuck at London Heathrow Airport

Other London Airports

Post 1

Sheep in wolfs clothing

Thanks for this guide. I will make sure that I have access to it next time I fly through Heathrow.
In the last year or two, I have had a much worse problem to resolve - what to do at Gatwick airport when delayed. To make matters worse, some of the delays have been 'planned' delays of 5 hours or more, because the flights to regional airports (i.e. Newcastle for me) can be so poor and infrequent.
The usual problem for me is the return journey from America, having been at work the previous day, taking the red-eye across the Atlantic and then waiting for 5 hours for the connecting flight home. In theory, if you have hand luggage only and the flights are on time, you can just make the earlier flight, if it has room. The theory has never worked for me, though.
A worse experience last year was returning from a holiday in California with the family. Trying to find something to occupy a tired, grumpy two year old was no fun (especially as we were tired and grumpy as well, having had little sleep on the plane).
So, if anyone has some detailed knowledge and good ideas about what to do at Gatwick, I would love to hear from you.


Other London Airports

Post 2

Pandapig

My tip is to avoid Heathrow, Gatwick or any of the larger London airports. Use London City if you can, it's brilliant! Not many delays and you can check in up to about 15 minutes before departure. It's also very handily located near my home in East London.

smiley - cheerssmiley - panda


Other London Airports

Post 3

a girl called Ben

I live in the west, so my airports in order of geographical preference are Birmingham, Bristol, LHR, LGW, Luton, Stansted. I have had to pick up and drop off people at Stansted a lot recently, and I am learning to hate that one too.

For some strange reason, I have never used Gatwick, so I can't help with any handy hints or tips, other than "Don't do it..." smiley - winkeye

I always thought they should have turned Fairford into a major regional hub, but they seem to prefer using it for bombers!

Ben


Other London Airports

Post 4

a girl called Ben

PS - I am glad you liked the entry!


Other London Airports

Post 5

Number Six

I live in North London, and with my other half's parents living in Italy and the advent of low-cost airlines, I've come to simultaneously love and hate Stansted's everything-under-one-roof concept... I actually look forward to the change of using 'proper' traditional airports. Stansted's damn convenient to get to, though.

smiley - mod


Other London Airports

Post 6

Number Six

For me the main advantage with Heathrow is that it's on the tube - and even better, it's on the Piccadilly Line, like me! So a long slow journey out there on the tube, but at a cost of just £4.40 return compared to over £20 to Stansted, Luton or Airwick Gatport...

I always conveniently forget to add that £20 extra to the 'bargain' prices when I book with a low-cost airline.

smiley - mod


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more