A Conversation for Pronouncing British Placenames

Wolfardisworthy

Post 1

compo

Wolfardisworthy - hope that's the correct spelling - in North Devon is,to the best of my knowledge,known as Woolsery.

Bedworth in Warwickshire is locally known as Beduth or Beduff.

Have heard that some people,possibly Americans call Loughborough "Looga Barooga."


Wolfardisworthy

Post 2

Icy North

Hi compo! I put Woolfardisworthy in there, and Loughborough too!

I hadn't heard Bed-uth for Bedworth - thanks for that. It's not dissimilar to Southwell (suth-ull), or the Hampshire village of Boarhunt (borrunt).

Keep 'em coming!

smiley - cheers Icy


Wolfardisworthy

Post 3

VancouverBrit

A friend of mine was asked the way to Looga Berrooga by some Aussies - it definitely has an Australian ring to it!


Wolfardisworthy

Post 4

compo

Hi Icy North.

Sorry for possibly doubling up on a couple of place names in your excellent entry.Must admit that I'd only "sped read" the entry as I was a bit stuck for time yesterday.Will have proper read in next day or two.


Wolfardisworthy

Post 5

compo

Icy North.

Yep,you had already mentioned Loughborough and Wolfardisworthy,so sincere apologies for not having read item properly first time round.However,I think,but am not 100% sure,that there is another Wolfardisworhy in Mid or South Devon.


Wolfardisworthy

Post 6

Icy North

Thanks Compo - yes I've heard there are two Woolfardisworthys(!), but I only know the one near Barnstaple (I've driven past the sign).

smiley - cheers Icy


Wolfardisworthy

Post 7

compo

Had a check on a map of Devon and the "other" Wolfardisworthy is east of a line between Crediton and Tiverton.

Don't mind holding my hands up and admitting/acknowledging I'm in the wrong about something,Icy North.I'd have potentially more time for people if the majority would share a similar viewpoint.

With your Icy North "handle",are you in the upper echelons of dear old Blighty? Scarborough resident myself.


Wolfardisworthy

Post 8

Icy North

Born oop North, but raised in Portsmouth, Compo. Currently in Surrey.

I'm sorry to say I've never been to Scarborough, but it's definitely on my list. Yokshire's so big you'd need a couple of weeks to see it all. smiley - ok


Wolfardisworthy

Post 9

arghans

The Woolfardisworthy in North Devon is now commonly spelt 'Woolsery' - which is less to write and saves pronunciation problems.


Wolfardisworthy

Post 10

Icy North

Hi arghans, and welcome to h2g2 smiley - smiley

Yes, I'm sure that helps people pronounce it, but do you feel we've lost something if we spell it that way?

smiley - cheers Icy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more