A Conversation for Baltimore, West Cork, Ireland

Fascinating

Post 1

rooftiler - back again, for another bit at least

Hi,

What a great Guide Entry. I've learnt something I didn't know, and didn't even know I wanted to know! I'm intrigued about the captives whisked off to Algeria - presumably there has been a lot of research done to try and find out their fate?

One point I might make: 'one of Ireland's only planetariums' sounds a bit odd - perhaps 'one of Ireland's few planetariums' or even 'planetaria'?

Thanks again for this entry.

rt


Fascinating

Post 2

Recumbentman

Yes -- I always assumed Baltimore was derived from Bailte Móra, "big houses" but the Baal connection makes sense given the observance of Bealtaine, the fire of Baal, on the first of May (transliterated to Beltane in English).

Curious that both the prophet Elijah and St Patrick made their point by stealing Baal's thunder.


Fascinating

Post 3

Woodpigeon

Thanks smiley - cheers. The entry encompasses a bit more than Baltimore, but West Cork is a fascinating place in Ireland. I originally thought the name camed from Baile an Ti Mor - the town of the big house, so the Baal connection also came as a surprise to me.

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more