A Conversation for Hilbert's Infinite Hotel

Open University programme

Post 1

coelacanth

The Open University have a Maths programme about this.
"Hotel Hilbert
Exploring the strange mathematical world of infinity at a hotel which is always full but still takes in guests."

Made in 1996 but still being shown (I watched it again this weekend). It's very unusual for an OU programme, being more of a comic drama, with Suzanna Doyle (Drop the Dead Donkey) and Patrick Barlow (theatre of Brent).

See http://www.grout.demon.co.uk/mathmedia/showreel.html and you can even buy it: http://www.ouw.co.uk/bin/ouwsdll.dll?COURSEMS221_Mathematics_-_Pure_and_Applied
smiley - bluefish


Open University programme

Post 2

bunnyfrog will never die

Its worse than that Jim, the very programme was on rather late forcing me to watch it and stay awake contemplating infinity. The end result was I decided infinity was a circular bucket and thus satisfied dozed off to sleep. A day later.


Open University programme

Post 3

coelacanth

It's on again, in the early hours of course. smiley - sleepy 4am to 4.30 Sunday 16th October 2005, which could be called late Saturday night if you were staying awake.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/prog_parse.cgi?FILENAME=20051015/20051016_0400_4224_37221_30

It's a bit of a tradition in my house to tape it and watch it every time it's on and then spend our time discussing infinity. I will try and remember the circular bucket.
smiley - bluefish


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more