A Conversation for Theramin

Arm waving music?

Post 1

Steve K.

There are modern instruments with position sensors that detect the position/motion of hands (or anything I guess). Roland is using "D-beam" sensors (I think they're called) on various synths including the HandSonic - very interesting hand drumming synth, with a video demo available.

[URL removed by moderator]

But the most interesting I've seen (and had to buy) is the Alesis "AirFX", basically an effects processor with a 3D position sensor. Use any audio signal in, wave your hands over one of the 50 presets, and get very wild effects.

[URL removed by moderator]

I got one of these, had to wrestle the clerk at the music store for the last one they had.


Arm waving music?

Post 2

dasilva

Intriguing - sounds like they finally found an everyday use for the Polhemus tracker that VR freaks go so mad over smiley - smiley

Last time I saw a Theremin being used, it was accompanied by a Mellotron (world's frist keyboard sampler? Perhaps) and the ever present Laser Harp all in the hands of Jean Michel Jarre on his recent-ish Oxygene 7-13 tour...

Anyone know where to get the circuit diagram for one of these things? Without paying huge wodges of cash preferably... Mail me (Link on my page) smiley - smiley


Arm waving music?

Post 3

Massive Bureau of Everything

Theremin world has what you need. Bob Moog is still making prebuilt and kit versions of his theremins. Big Briar brand.

http://www.thereminworld.com/

The Alesis AirFX has been followed by a AirSynth model, although not a proper theremin, pretty close. The Moog theremins are not expensive and there's a "pocket" model. Ideal for travelling with?


Arm waving music?

Post 4

Steve K.

That's interesting news, I may end up getting the AirSynth. I went to the Theremin website but didn't see anything about the "pocket" model Theremin - any leads on who sells them?


Arm waving music?

Post 5

Massive Bureau of Everything

I saw the Moog "pocket" theremin in Sound on Sound magazine (which is an excellent source of information). Do a google search for Sound on Sound magazine for the URL.


As I remember it was rather like a 1950s radio - built in speacker and red in colour.

The Airsynth is interesting (red rather than blue case, same layout as the AirFX) but I've never used one so can't really comment. Probably good fun.

There used to be mail order ads for it in Sound on Sound about 99GBP I think.

You could try some of the larger UK music stores like Turnkey or Sound Control, Thomanns (Germany - excellent store mail order to Europe) etc. Outside of the UK - hmm, don't know.

I've have a page of music tech related links you might find useful
http://www.pmorgan.ukgateway.net/Personal/Solutionspersonal/musiclinkage.htm

Or go to my h2g2 home page and go for the links from there.


Arm waving music?

Post 6

Massive Bureau of Everything

For theremin delight try Bob Moogs Big Briar site-
big briar dot com

and check out the etherwave range of theremins.

Or do a google search for etherwave.


Arm waving music?

Post 7

Steve K.

The Big Briar site is great, thanks for the tip. Those sound samples are wild, glad I didn't have headphones on ... smiley - cool


Arm waving music?

Post 8

dasilva

Anyone tried out the virtual theremin from the thereminworld site - either the Palm version or the PC webcam version?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more