A Conversation for The Open University

International equivalents?

Post 1

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Great article. Can we compile a list of other countries that provide this kind of open learning experience? I can help with Australia, as I am currently doing my MBA through Deakin University. Deakin provides "Distance Education" in a flexible format. With the MBA I have 10 years to complete 12 modules, but it is flexible as to how many I do and how long I leave it between modules, as long as I complete it within 10 years.

I am not sure whether there are other degrees offered in this way, though.

We also have a school system that allow kids in the outback to participate in primary and secondary schooling. In the same way, course material is sent to them to get through during the week under supervision, then once (perhaps more) a week they get on the radio system and call in for lectures.

Many education commentators here were ecstatic about the Internet and its ability to further bridge the "tyrannies of distance" that outback kiddies face, but so far the quality of connections into these remote parts is pretty lame, so they still have to rely on the two-way radio system.


International equivalents?

Post 2

Konrad (1x6^(9-8)x(8-1)=42) (OMFC) (Goo at work, alabaster at home)


There are a number of other UK unis which offer distance learning for certain courses, too, but as far as i am aware, the open university is the only one set up to run all of its degrees that way.

I know that there is a university in Japan which offers an Open University type service, but I've completely forgotten the name of it.

I'd also be interested in knowing of any other similar institutions around the world.

That outback radio education deal is quite famous over here. I'm not entirely sure why, but I seem to recall watching something about it on blue peter (kids show over here) when I was a child.

Konrad


International equivalents?

Post 3

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Coincidences never cease to amaze me. I had a client meeting in the city yesterday, and because it was the end of the day I went home from there. While I was waiting at the station (not my usual station) I noticed a billboard that advertised Open Learning Australia, which allows you to study with over 30 of Australia's leading higher education institutions by distance programs.

Website for OLA can be found at [URL removed by moderator]

Also, I remember doing a shorthand course at OTEN, TAFE's (technical colleges in Australia) distance learning offering. They also offer many of their courses in this way.

Website for OTEN can be found at [URL removed by moderator]

I think Australia, with its unique distance problems, is well set up for these types of courses.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more