A Conversation for London, UK

THE LIGHTS OF LONDON

Post 1

TIMELORD

I have been to London a few times in my life but i was passing though or seeing friends and relatives.
So last weekend i set out to see "THE LIGHTS OF LONDON" it was ment to be a trip with my best friend but he could not get the time off work (two days was to much to ask after all he as only worked there 14 Years)
So in the end i went with my brother 3 nights in the Regents palace hotel Right in the heart of London the hotel was not the best in the world or even the best in London but it was nice.
On friday night we went for a meal at a Scotch steak house* and had the worsed meal i have ever payed for the mixed grill came with the smallest lamb chop i have ever seen a piece of steak the size of a 10p and a rock hard lump of kidney but the very worsed part of the meal was just as i had finished eating a cockroach walked accross the table.
I know i should have said something but i just payed the bill and walked out.
Saturday started with a nice walk around London we found Nelsons and his 4 lions marble arch and of course That little house that the queen uses before returning for breakfast at Harry Ramsdens.I have been to the first harrys many times as it is only 6 miles away so was looking forward to a nice breakfast i did not get one when they said we serve from 7 till 10 they did not say it would be the same meal cooked at 7 am if you turned up at 9.30 the coffee was flat cold the beens were also cold and you had to make your own toast if i had payed £6.50 (the price to none hotel guests)i would have asked for my money back.
Saturday night we went to see the play THE PRODUCERS if you have been thinking about seeing this play it was the highlight of the weekend a great play that i would without doubt watch again.
We finished the evening with the best meal so far we went to burger king.
on sunday we did the bus tour and boat trip down the thames stopping to look around the ST Pauls and the other sights i decided to go on the LONDON EYE i was not sure i would like it but yes to see the capital from the top of the eye was worth the trip i enjoyed it.
we had a very nice meal sunday night at a Witherspoons pub not far from Trafalgar sqaure The half moon and something i wish i could remember the name.
so for me London was a nice place just a shame about the food.

*The one on Shaftesbury ave and Waldour st


THE LIGHTS OF LONDON

Post 2

Mina

Sounds like you had a great time! It's nice to hear about somewhere so familiar to me through the eyes of a visitor (although technically I'm only a visitor too, having never lived there).


THE LIGHTS OF LONDON

Post 3

TIMELORD

Well i hope to return to London soon but i will not return to the same hotet.


THE LIGHTS OF LONDON

Post 4

microbigbear

It's a shame you had such bad experiences with food in The Smoke, because central London is full of great places to eat, and it needn't cost a fortune (although it can if you want it to). Unfortunately, with so many visitors passing through every day, the bad restaurants, such as those steak houses, survive.

Covent Garden, Soho, and chinatown all have plenty of good, reasonably/priced restaurants. Just do a bit of internet research before you go again, and you won't have to give your money to the cowboys.


THE LIGHTS OF LONDON

Post 5

TIMELORD

Yes it might have helped to check things before you try them but looking back i remember the good things about the trip more then the bad so i must have had a good time.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more