A Conversation for 'Oranges and Lemons' - The Nursery Rhyme

Oranges and Lemons - the nursery rhyme

Post 1

Composer

Assuming that everyone knows the "standard" familiar tune to this rhyme - does anyone know of any other tunes in existence for this ditty, or regional variations to the "standard" tune?


Oranges and Lemons - the nursery rhyme

Post 2

Mina

I've never heard of another tune, and I didn't see any mention of one when I did my research for this entry, sorry about that.


Oranges and Lemons - the nursery rhyme

Post 3

jemmacat

What is the "standard" tune to Oranges and Lemons?


Oranges and Lemons - the nursery rhyme

Post 4

Mina

I'm not sure how to 'sing' it on the internet. smiley - erm You could try a search on google to see if you can find the music to it. Someone must have had to play it sometime or other.

I won't suggest that you attend any kids party, because they don't seem to play games anymore.


Oranges and Lemons - the nursery rhyme

Post 5

skittlemcfluff

G G E G E C D E F D G E C

Should be the first couplet as far as I can do. Like bells in arpeggios.

Second couplet is basically the same tune.

D B D B G A B C A D B G

Is possibly the third (I'm guessing intervals here. Don't have an instrument in the room)

4th is similar

D B D G A B C A D G

Then the next (here comes a candle...) is basically the same as the first.

G E G E C D E F E D C (here comes a chopper to-o chop off your head)

Then 'chops' are spoken/shouted. I've only given the bones, I'm sure you can get the rhythm and repetitions.


Oranges and Lemons - the nursery rhyme

Post 6

Mina

Thanks skittlemcfluff! I'll have to try playing that later. smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more