A Conversation for Benjamin Britten's War Requiem

Recording of world premiere

Post 1

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

'Music Preserved', formerly The Music Performance Research Centre, holds over 1500 archive recordings of live performances, and interviews (both audio and video), from the 1930s to the present day, available at the Barbican Centre, London, or elsewhere by arrangement. Music Preserved was set up to preserve sound documents of public performances for future generations, and to preserve, as far as possible, the integrity of the performances.

This archive includes the world premiere of Britten's War Requiem at Coventry Cathedral on the 30th of May 1962. The soloists were Heather Harper, Peter Pears and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, with the Melos Ensemble, Choruses, and the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, conductors Meredith Davies and Benjamin Britten.

http://www.musicpreserved.org/highlights.htm


Recording of world premiere

Post 2

Mikeo the gregarious

I believe video extracts of the world-premiere recording of Britten's War Requiem appeared in a Channel 4 programme a couple of years ago called "Benjamin Britten: A love story in three pieces". The Requiem was the second of the three pieces covered (the first being "Peter Grimes" and the third "Death in Venice").

I don't suppose Music Preserved would happen to have "Peter Grimes" or even Walton's "Belshazzar's Feast"?


Recording of world premiere

Post 3

tinygormanghast

As a member of the chorus in the premiere of Britten's War Requiem, I would love to own a recording of that event. Was one ever made available for public purchase?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more