A Conversation for William Shakespeare - Playwright

Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 1

Uncle Ghengis

I was sure that my personal favourite: "Cymbeline" was classed as one of the Tragedies, not a comedy.

Yes, I know it has a happy ending - but for most of it's course it is definitely a tragedy, only 'righting itself' in the last five-minutes or so. And of course, that's why I like it - it plumbs the depths of despair, until all hope seems to be gone, and then revives the fortunes of the heroes at the very last scene. Of course it's full of some of those Shakespearean plot-twisting devices - which may seem improbable, but they do seem to work well.


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 2

alji's

'tis a Tragedy in my book too!

Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard(Join The Guild of Wizards @ U197895)smiley - surfer


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 3

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Well in the references I used it was classed as a Comedy, then again I could be very wrongsmiley - smiley


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 4

alji's

See the First Folio edition of The Tragedie of Cymbeline. @

http://web.uvic.ca/shakespeare/Library/Texts/Cym/Cym_FT/Cym_FTPages/Cym_Fzz3r.html

Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard(Join The Guild of Wizards @ U197895)smiley - surfer


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 5

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Knowing me Alji...it was probably a typo that slipped through the netsmiley - erm


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 6

alji's

I did find it decribed as a tradgi-comedy on one site, Em.



Alji smiley - zensmiley - wizard(Join The Guild of Wizards @ U197895)smiley - surfer


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 7

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Cool, so we all might be right?smiley - smiley


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 8

Just Another Number

I seem to remember that the defining difference between a classical comedy or tragedy isn't whether it's funny or sad. It's all to do with strict dramatic structures that were first introduced in ancient Greek drama.

In a comedy; the protaganist lives through an ordeal, attaining some degree of spiritual growth or enlightenment at the end.

In a tragedy; the protaganist usually achieves a degree of success or power, but has a weakness - a fatal flaw - that ultimately leads to his downfall and death.

Something like that anyway! smiley - huh


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 9

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

I haven't seen Cymbeline so I don't really know.


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 10

Smij - Formerly Jimster

There seems to be a consensus here, Em. Would you mind if we make that little correction - comedy > tragedy?

smiley - smiley

(Glad to see this getting so much attention!)

Jims


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 11

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Go for it Jimster, give the masses what they wantsmiley - winkeye


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 12

Smij - Formerly Jimster

(and then Jimster remembers a lecture seven years ago that explains it all! smiley - doh)

Er... it's neither. There are three plays that defy categorisation, A Winter's Tales, Cymbeline, Pericles and The Tempest, which are generally known as the 'later' plays. Generally (he says now that he's looked this up smiley - smiley ) scholars refer to these as 'Romances', so I've amended these to reflect that.

Phew!


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 13

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

smiley - ok

you're so knowledgablesmiley - winkeye


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 14

A small Gnomish creature

Shakespeare broke all the classical "rules" regarding tragic and comic forms. It may be that he never really thought of his plays as belonging to any particular genre or classification (remember, he is writing in the days before literary criticism or even standardised spelling!) Or maybe he was well aware of different genres and simply loved to have a joke at their expense (have a look at the way the genres are mocked in Hamlet - "pastoral, comical, pastorical-comical, pastoral-historical..." I'm paraphrasing, please forgive me).

However, in the 21st century we feel the need to pigeonhole, and where's the harm in that? Other researchers have suggested that Cymbeline could accurately be referred to as a "late" play - I've definitely seen that classification many times, to refer to the three difficult-to-describe late plays (Cymbeline, Winter's Tale and Tempest). I've also heard the classification "problem play" for this and for Measure for Measure.

The French have tragi-comedy as a respectable genre in itself (read Le Cid by Corneille, it's breathtakingly good) so maybe we could appropriate that term?


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 15

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

smiley - wow that's a lot of new information, it may be worth altering my entry but I'm not altogether sure how to get that done to include a different classification...

I didn't know about those other classificationssmiley - smiley


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 16

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I think it's sufficient that the threads are attached to the entry itself, to be honest. All neat, so other Researchers can follow the discussion. It's for good reason these are also known as 'problem plays', after all smiley - smiley


Comedy or Tragedy???

Post 17

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

this my friend is a very good pointsmiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more