A Conversation for A Hot Toddy Cold Remedy

Boil and orange

Post 1

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Very good but my family recipe is to boil a whole orange, skin and all (best if organic) then while hot eat the whole lot again skin and all and drink the liquid. My father would add sugar and rum to the juice now and then but I think the hot oils in the skin did most of the good.


Boil and orange

Post 2

clzoomer- a bit woobly

That's supposed to be boil *an* orange by the way.


Boil and orange

Post 3

Cloviscat

Hi cl zoomer - The idea of the orange makes me want to spew, so I'll have to take your word for it!

There's so many good ideas coming out of this that when they've all gathered, I shall post a link to them at the edited guide entry for cold cures: A452134

Thanks!

smiley - smileysmiley - blackcat


Boil and orange

Post 4

clzoomer- a bit woobly

It's an aquired taste, but believe me it works<!> The secret is to eat it like an apple so that the sweetness of the pulp overcomes the taste of the peel. If you have any minor cuts or abrasions on your lips- look out!


Boil and orange

Post 5

Cloviscat

...and it doesn't give you an upset stomach?


Boil and orange

Post 6

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Surprisingly no, the orange is cooked and not very acidic and the peel is only irritating to cuts and scrapes around your mouth as I said. Often I have noticed that with a bad cold the lips are sensitive so the oil will sting a little. The only bad part is the relief only lasts for an hour or two but that usually is enough to get to sleep which is the best cure of all.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more