A Conversation for The Four Elements of Hip Hop

Wot no beatboxing?

Post 1

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

You could have put some detail about Rahzel, Doug E. Fresh etc and the whole beatbox scene.

I also think you missed out a little in the bit about scratching when you neglected to mention anything about 3 time World DMC champion and undisputed king of scratch, DJ Q-Bert or DJ Shadow (his album Entroducing voted best dance album of all time by Mixmag despite being undanceable).

Other than that a nice overview of the 4 pillars.


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 2

Gubernatrix

It's a pity you didn't stick your oar in when this was in Peer Review! smiley - winkeye

>>You could have put some detail about Rahzel, Doug E. Fresh etc and the whole beatbox scene.

Yes, I could. But beatboxing is not strictly one of the 'Four' and I had to cut a lot of stuff out due to length. Also, I think its an interesting but relatively marginal aspect of hip hop.

Have you heard of Killa Kela? Extremely talented young UK beatboxer. Has worked with DJ Vadim and Russian Percussion and has an album out at the mo' on Vadim's label. I heard him do his stuff recently and was mightily impressed.

>>I also think you missed out a little in the bit about scratching

Yes, indeed. I didn't go into much detail because I didn't think it was relevant in such a generalised entry. I mentioned Mix Master Mike rather than (or in addition to) DJ QBert because he's better known and because of his relationship with the Beasties. I was also tempted to talk about the Jurassic 5 DJs and the X-ecutioners, but decided it was just a smidgen esoteric. After all, I wasn't writing for the cognoscenti. But I would have liked to say more about scratch deejaying. Maybe that's another entry...smiley - smiley


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 3

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

I've seen Killa Kela many times and have loads of Jazz Fudge material featuring him. He isn't a patch on Rahzel live or on record and he spends far too much time shouting his own name for my liking.

An interesting beatboxer is Quadraceptor who is on Amon Tobin's Supermodified album.

A Scratch DJing entry sounds good!


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 4

Gubernatrix

smiley - grovel

Never heard Rahzel to my knowledge. What's the Amon Tobin album like? Never heard him either, but he's a Ninja Tuner isn't he?


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 5

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Rahzel is the 'undisputed beatbox champion of the world'. He is head and shoulders above everybody else. I saw him at Essential last year, as with all beatboxing albums never do it justice. He did the beat, the bass and the vocals of a song live, at the same time. Quite astonishing and his DJ was equally stunning, his name evades me but he is big on the San Francisco scratch scene.

Amon Tobin is typical Ninja Tune, eclectic. Not hiphop as such, but dark jazzy beats. Quadraceptor features on one song and makes noises akin to a babbling brook and bubble-wrap popping at breakneck speed. Supermodified is my personal favourite album, but the reissued album (under the name of Nico) called Adventures In Foam is great too!


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 6

Gubernatrix

Dunno why I've come back to this conversation but anyway...

>>>his album Entroducing voted best dance album of all time by Mixmag despite being undanceable

smiley - yikesOrgan Donor is a fantastic bboy tune to dance to!

>>>>Rahzel is the 'undisputed beatbox champion of the world'.
I've been party to various conversations (arguments) along the lines of Killa Kela v Rahzel - who's the best. And it seems to come out pretty much equal. Hmmmm - will have to find out for myself. That'd be a battle though!!!!

>>>A Scratch DJing entry sounds good!

Why don't you write one then! I wouldn't write one cos I'm not a practitioner and would therefore feel guilty and fraudulent.smiley - erm


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 7

Gubernatrix

>>>his DJ was equally stunning, his name evades me but he is big on the San Francisco scratch scene.

DJ JS-1?


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 8

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Yes it was JS-1. I saw they played in Bristol last weekend and would have gone but for prior engagements. Trust me, Killa Kela has nothing on Rahzel. There rezlly is no debate about that one.

As for writing an article on scratch, I don't think I could be bothered. I am unable to use this site much in my current job due to the meddlesome ideas of my boss that I actually engage in some sort of work and also because of my current state of limbo called pre-moderation which prevents me from posting on here properly.


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 9

Yes,I am the Lady Lowena!Get with the programme...

* reading the backlog in utter confusion*

Thought you must have changed job.Incidentally I have an idea for a new Sunday evening family feelgood programme..its all bout a minister who is also a detective .Its going to be called 'Gently,Gently'Like most ministers he will have five parishes so the murders won't all happen in one small picturesque village making it per head of population the homicide capital of the western world. I haven't yet decided wether he will be a woolly,well meaning chap or terribly right on but hard to pin down on specifics ie the virgin birth or say the resurrection per exemple.


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 10

Rt. Rev. Lesley Gentle

Is that a compliment or are you diagnosing my multiple-personality disorder?


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 11

Yes,I am the Lady Lowena!Get with the programme...

Call someone who cares!





Wot no beatboxing?

Post 12

Mycelium


Killa Kella's good, I've seen him twice in the last 18 months or so, but Rahzel's better.

What a beatboxer puts out on CD can't be an accurate guide to how good they are, cos of editing and overdubs. I can beatbox like a demon through my Zoom multi fx, but I sound awful without it.smiley - laugh


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 13

Gubernatrix

Missed Rahzel a coupla weeks ago - I think he was at Scratch @ Fabric. Have to catch him next time.

DO you emcee as well?


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 14

Mycelium

no, i don't have the rhymes. if i'm mucking about jamming with the boys, i might give it some Chuck D or PWEI or what ever, but you can't do that sort of thing to a crowd.


Wot no beatboxing?

Post 15

Gubernatrix

Check it.
The first ever human beatbox convention. Next month @ Imperial College.

http://www.humanbeatbox.com/convention


Key: Complain about this post