Become a fan of h2g2
Dr Anthea provided us with this wonderful recipe:
Banana and walnut bread is a moist, sticky fruit loaf somewhat like a malt loaf.
It is perfect to eat warm or cold in thick slices.
- 230g (8oz) softened butter
- 230g (8oz) light brown sugar
- 230g (8oz) thick set honey
- 4 eggs
- 225g (8oz) wholemeal bread flour
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 3 teaspoons (15ml) baking powder
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) cinnamon
- 4 - 6 bananas1
- half a lemon's worth of juice
- 150g (5 oz) walnuts
- a large handful of raisins
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
- Grease an 8-inch (20cm) square tin.
- Place butter, sugar and honey in a bowl and beat together. Gradually beat in eggs and flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Peel and mash the bananas and mix with the lemon juice, then fold with the walnuts into the bread mixture.
- Place mixture into baking tin.
- Bake for roughly 1 - 1.5 hours or until the top is golden.
- Once baked, serve as desired.
The perfect treat after a day walking or a nutritious snack for hungry children.