PEE - an Essay-writing Technique Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

PEE - an Essay-writing Technique

4 Conversations

PEE is an essay-writing technique used in English. This Entry will explain what each letter means and give an example from a Romeo and Juliet essay.

  • Point - Make a point. This can be anything from a short sentence to a few lines.

    Example - We first see Romeo in Act 1 Scene 1. He seems to be over-dramatic, and exaggerates everything he says.
  • Evidence - Quote the text. The quote needs to be related to the point you made.

    Example - Mis-shapen chaos of well-seemed forms,
    Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health,
    Still-waking sleep, that is not what it is!
    (1.1.178-180)1
  • Explanation - Explain the quote, what it means, how it works, and how it backs up the point you made originally.

    Example - In this quote, to exaggerate his point, Romeo uses a number of oxymorons. This quote also shows that Romeo is a very emotional and immature person as he is acting depressed just because one good-looking girl (Rosaline) turned him down.

The final finished paragraph:

We first see Romeo in Act 1, Scene 1. He seems to be over-dramatic, and exaggerates everything he says:

'Mis-shapen chaos of well-seemed forms,
Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health,
Still-waking sleep, that is not what it is!' (1.1.178-180)

In this quote, to exaggerate his point, Romeo uses a number of oxymorons. This quote also shows that Romeo is a very emotional and immature person as he is acting depressed just because one good-looking girl (Rosaline) turned him down.

It is also possible to add an R on the end of PEE:

  • Review - Check your work, make sure there are no spelling mistakes, and see if you can improve it in any way. Reviewing your work and correcting your work could be the difference between getting a B or an A.

By following PEE, you have the necessary structure to write a good paragraph in an essay.

Since PEE is an acronym and has several connotations, it is very memorable. Probably the reason why English teachers never shut up about it.

1The numbers in brackets show where in the play the quote was taken from. The first number is the Act, the second number is the Scene, and the third (and fourth) number(s) is/are the Line(s).

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A877935

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more