The Birmingham Meet according to Z

2 Conversations

How many other websites would lead to a situation like this, waiting with a hangover at Birmingham airport1, for someone I had never met,Toybox . I had no idea what he looked like, all I knew what that he would be wearing a black coat with a carnation in the button hole. Fortunately he recognised me from a photo I'd e mailed him.

My fears that he was an axe murderer proved to be unfounded, he brought a bottle of champagne, and we spent a lovely morning seeing the sights of Birmingham2 and enjoying its marvellous cuisine3.

We'd arranged to meet VIP in Hogshead, I had seen a few photos of her online and I was looking for a girl with pink wings, a pink tea shirt, and bunches. She didn't look much like the photo and recognised Toybox's carnation. We were joined by
two friends of VIPs, one of whom at least was a friend of mine as well4, as well as Pastey and Magrat

We adopted another non h2g2 member5 he had left his cigarettes on our table, and was so surprised that we hadn't smoked them he brought us all some chips. An instant friend.

After VIP went to collect Odo and Ictoan, Unfortunately a tragedy had befallen ICTOaN, and he was unable to make it. Pastey and Magrat were commenting that as we only had six people we shouldn't own up to having booked a function room.

Barely a few minutes later we discovered that there was a whole group of people, hiding in the function room, KerrAvon, TB
falsename
, and Lucinda who also wore wings, St Emily Ultramarine, la Reine des Poissons Rouges, Sub, DoG Hildabeast), A visitor to planet earth and daSilva The Stoically Taciturn (( 9 - 1 ) * 6 - 3 * 2 = 42).

After some very pleasant beers, we also acquired the company of blickybadger, and McKay The Disorganised - Lost in S.H.A.D.O.W. at A811810., Mrs Mckay, Mr Manda and Mrs Manda.

At this point things get a little fuzzy in Z vision. Pastey, Magrat, and VIP had introduced me to real ale a few hours early and I rather enjoyed it.

VIP had prepared a quiz based on the Hitchikers books/TV/radio series, she was a worried that it was too obscure and people would find it too hard, and no one would win the T shirt and mouse mat. Her fears proved unfounded, the lowest score was 18 out of 50. The winner was
Pastey with 43 and a half, however he had a deep desire for the runner up prize, a highly converted mouse mat6, so was good enough to swap with DaSliva, who had come second.

Numerous photographs were taken throughout the evening which I'm sure will soon be appearing around the place..

Lets drink to next time..

Z

03.04.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1which has finally replaced the Maglev with something faster than a bus -Skytrain2The Rotunda3The Briar Rose4Yes if we didn't spend so much time on h2g2 we might have met in real life5strange people, I've heard of them apparently6apparently he's been owed one for years, they were all his idea

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1013725

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more