Number Six's Soubriquets

1 Conversation

Just a list of all the appendages that I've added to my name since I started changing it on a regular basis... I usually put them there to reflect something that's going on in my life. If you feel like playing 'spot the cultural reference', don't let me stop you!

  • Paris, Venice, Harringay
  • One of the few that isn't a song lyric... I'd just been on my holidays.

  • More Soul than Wigan Casino
  • It's from a T-shirt by the record label Fortuna POP! Egon got the reference to the legendary northern soul nightclub in Wigan, though.

  • So let me bust out at full speed
  • Quite obscure so no-one got it, it's from 'Shake Some Action' by The Flamin' Groovies.

  • ...so I'm on BBC Two now, telling Terry Wogan how...
  • Ferrettbadger got this one. From 'Dark of the Matinee' by the very wonderful Franz Ferdinand.

  • ...and he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
  • From 'Down Under' by Men at Work. I'd just downloaded a pretty good flamenco acoustic version of the song by Colin Hay, who co-wrote it - and if you can find it, I heartily recommend it. Spotted by the ever-prolific Geggs.

  • Just like the Four Tops, I can't help myself
  • It's from Edwyn Collins' old band Orange Juice's tribute to Levi Stubbs and co. Like Britvic, Egon got there first. I forget in exactly what context I couldn't help myself, though.

  • Cor blimey hello Mrs Jones, how's your Bert's lumbago?
  • Geggs worked it out eventually, although he first confused it with its spiritual descendent ('Parklife' by Blur) - it is of course 'Lazy Sunday' by The Small Faces. It was around this time that Zinedine Zidane missed a game for Real Madrid on the grounds that his lumbago was playing up. Which sounded a brilliantly old-fashioned excuse to me.

  • I Don't Want to Change the World, I'm Not Looking for a New England...
  • Geggs was first with this one too, although he was misled by the red herring of the Kirsty MacColl cover version. It is, of course, 'A New England' by Billy Bragg, and at the time I probably was looking for another girl...

  • What Do I Get?
  • By the Buzzcocks. Bit of a cheat putting an entire song title there, but it was ages before it eventually got guessed - Gosho was still called Gosho when I put it there, and by the time he twigged he'd gone through about 22 new names and was called Oojakpiv...

  • I can still hear you saying you would never break The Chain...
  • 'The Chain' by Fleetwood Mac - I broke my bicycle chain on the way to work, put the lyric up that morning and it was guessed in reasonably short order by AlexAshman.

  • Did she go to work or just go to the store?
  • Guessed, after an eternity of my saying 'Did no-one really get this???' by GreyDesk. 'Hanging on the Telephone' by Blondie. I'd be hugely surprised if my choosing this one didn't reflect one of my numerous romantic false starts that I've had this year, and I was waiting for a call from some woman or other...

  • Come sail your ships around me, and burn your bridges down
  • Gosho/Oojakpiv eventually gave up and asked me what it was, which is one of the most beautiful songs ever: 'The Ship Song' by Nick Cave.

  • Giuliano Grazioli, he keeps on scoring goals - with Ginger Bailey in midfield we'll never need Paul Scholes
  • Egon got the closest of anyone to working this one out - his theory was a Barnet FC terrace chant, whereas in fact it's from Modern Romance's re-working of their early 80s Top Ten hit 'Ay-Ay-Ay-Ay Moosey' as 'Ay Ay Ay Love Barnet'. Apparently one of the band is a Bees fan. Anyway, this was around the time I reported on Barnet FC winning the Conference. Emotional scenes at Underhill...

  • Let me take your hand, I'm shaking like milk
  • From 'Let's Go To Bed' by The Cure - again, once GreyDesk worked out that guessing the source of the lyric was the thing to be doing, he got it pretty quickly...

  • from Westwood to Hollywood
  • Geggs was first with this one as well, and as he said at the time "It is, of course, understood that you can't buy time, but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock and roll." And who can argue with 'Somewhere In My Heart' by Aztec Camera?

  • A fourteen, a seven, a nine and lychees
  • Guessed more or less instantly by KerrAvon and several others, it's from Monty Python's 'I Like Chinese' - I was very proud to have given both her and Otto Fisch an earworm of it, and left it there for quite a while.

  • One night at the pool hall, asked her if she'd hold my cue
  • Remains unclaimed!

  • Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith
  • While cycling to work, I passed a parked Renault Four and immediately started wondering exactly how you're supposed to wear salami in your ears. And if I was going to have Spitting Image's 'The Chicken Song' infesting my head, everyone else was damn well going to suffer as well. It took a surprisingly long time to get spotted - maniacal vixen was first, pipping Geggs by half a length.

  • Watching the tele and thinking 'bout your holidays
  • The Jam's classic snapshot of living in Great Britain - 'That's Entertainment'. Subtly mentioned in passing by KerrAvon, who pointed out that waking up at 0600 is never entertaining.

  • When the carpet's paid for, you can have a party
  • From 'Lovers' Town' by Billy Bragg - quite an obscure track, it's only available on the Peel Sessions album, but I was thinking Gosho might get it. When he asked for clues, I knew I was in trouble.

  • And it's 'nice one', 'geezer', and that's as far as the conversation went
  • As Otto Fisch and GreyDesk quite rightly pointed out, 'Sorted for E's and Wizz' by Pulp. Not entirely disconnected with the fact that I was just off to Glastonbury at the time, and thinking about 'fifteen thousand people standing in a field'.

  • I'm sure I must be Someone, now I'm going to find out who
  • Chalked up to the ever-increasing tally of Goshokapiv. From 'Do Anything You Wanna Do' by late 70s Essex pub-rockers Eddie & The Hot Rods. Having just typed the phrase 'late 70s Essex pub-rockers' I've just realised I could and should have predicted who was going to guess that one... Come to think of it, 'Do Anything You Wanna Do' is a fair summing up of the weekend in Prague that I'd had.

  • He sipped another rum and coke and told a dirty joke
  • Mod-by-numbers - Ocean Colour Scene's 'The Day We Caught The Train. Otto Fisch was first to tumble it.

  • I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth
  • And an original Mod choon this time - 'Substitute' by The Who. It's always summed up my attitude to dealing with the more privileged classes - never been averse to reminding people where I came from. And I was ripping the highlights of my '30 Years of Maximum R&B' box set on to my hard drive at the time. Guessed by more or less everyone - they do say play the quizmaster, not the quiz - Gosho and Geggs got it on the thread attached to this entry, but a couple of the others spotted it elsewhere first. It's just that I can't remember where or when or who1.

  • These streets used to look big, this town used to look like a city
  • 'Caught In My Shadow' by The Wonder Stuff... no-one got it, but it wasn't up there for long due to the London Transport Bombings, which made me decide to replace it with:

  • You don't have to have the solution, you've got to understand the problem - and don't go hoping for a miracle
  • Guessed by YalsonKSA over on the Mornington Crescent thread - 'Slight Return' by the Bluetones. One of those wonderful little songs that sums things up nicely and can be applied to a wide variety of situations.

  • Oh, you've got blue eyes, oh, you've got green eyes, oh, you've got grey eyes
  • Reddyfreddy was the first to spot 'Temptation' by New Order, which was in my head for reasons I may reveal later...

    1That's a Pet Shop Boys reference, of course...

    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    Entry

    A1020141

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more