Official UnderGuide Gem Polishers' Survival Guide (UG)

15 Conversations

UGUG Entry Thing

The UnderGuide | Alternative Writing Workshop | UnderGuide Archives | The Post | h2g2 Fiction Central | Miners' Homepage | Gem Polishers' Homepage | UnderGuidelines | UnderGuide Editors | h2g2 Front Page

Let the UnderGuide revolution continue1.

So you’ve been given a cloth and a pass into the ‘Pig & Slag’2? That means you’re an Official UnderGuide Gem Polisher now. Congratulations! So what next?

Once a Miner has found a gem for polishing in the Alternative Writing Workshop it is up to the UG Editors to ensure it’s polished and follows UnderGuideLines. Well actually it’s up to YOU as a Gem Polisher. The ‘Pig & Slag’ notice board will let you know if there are pieces to be worked on, so simply choose one and let everyone know. This includes the UG Editors, other Gem Polishers and the author of the gem. Then you go ahead and start polishing!

Polishing Things Off

First things first. Once you've been given (or picked) an Entry to polish, go and read it. Be at one with it. Become the Entry. Well actually, more like make a copy of the Entry on your own space. This is done by copying the hyperlink and replacing the A in the A Number with the word Test. Something like this:

  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A123456


becomes;

  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/Test123456


This will give you an exact copy of the Entry. Then simply highlight the text, cut and paste to a new Guide Entry on your own Personal Space. This is so you can work on it freely. Once you have created the new Entry, which will become the UnderGuide Entry, you can move onto the more complex stuff.

Check whether it's written using GuideML. All entries submitted to the UnderGuide need to be in GuideML, just for ease of editing and because that's the way it's done, alright? Don't question it, just do it. Sheesh. If an entry is not in GuideML, then change it so it is, however you must reflect the author's original layout as closely as possible. This is done by clicking the little round button marked GuideML whilst editing, and then clicking on the Change Style button. If you're not all that confident with GuideML try the Clinic. It offers basic tips and once you've got your teeth in you should pick it up fairly easily.

If the entry IS in GuideML, you need to check that the Approved GuideML forms have been used3, changing the author's GuideML where necessary. The change in the overall look of the piece should be minimal in doing this. There may be occasions when it's justified to use some unapproved GuideML, and these should be discussed at the ‘Pig & Slag’ with other Miners, Polishers and the UG Editors.

The next step in the long hard process of polishing4 is to look for typos5, non standard spelling, grammar, lay out and structure. You also need to read through the piece carefully to look for any wording that the reader is likely to misinterpret. Having identified all those, consider which you think were unintentional on the author's part. Those are the only ones that you should think of possibly changing. Bear in mind that idiosyncratic spelling, grammar etc. even 'wrong' spelling, grammar etc. may be part of the author's (or a character's), voice, or may add the flavour of a different cultural or geographical background that it would be a pity to lose. They may even be 'correct' in the author's background. British English is not a requirement for UnderGuide pieces. Never forget that your judgement of what is correct in these matters is within the context of your culture and don't assume a mistake without checking. You need to read through the AWW thread, some of the points you've identified may already have been picked up and discussed.

Once you think you've cleaned and sprayed the gem to be radiant and almost effervescent, contact the author. Introduce yourself, say what you're there to do and say what you would think might be possible changes that would improve the piece's presentation. Include a link to the Polished Entry you've created. In opening the discussion you need to be aware that some authors know exactly what they're doing, they will have placed every full stop and comma with a great deal of care and will be sensitive about any change. Everyone, however, can miss a typo in proof reading. Other authors will be beginners and will benefit from advice and you should not hesitate to offer that. And then there will be all sorts in between where you need to use your own judgement. But it will pay in every case to tread very carefully and get to know the author a little before getting into the detail.

Of course you can't consult the author if they are not around (ie; 'Elvised). Try to make sure - post to their page anyway, they may be present under a different user name. Ask in the ‘Pig & Slag’, someone may know how to reach them. If they have ‘Elvised’, you need to act with discretion. Use your knowledge of polishing in consultation with authors to decide what to change and, if you find yourself making significant changes, confer with other Miners, Polishers and ultimately the UG Editors6.

Once you have got the go ahead from the author and are happy to pass the polished Entry back to the UG Editors, with new UG A-Number and UG 'Blob', there is one final piece of editing to do. Make sure you add the authors U Number (Researcher Number) in the box where is states Edit the Researcher List and click on the Set Researchers button. Once that is done, you will be the 'Editor' of the UG Entry and the original author will have 'Written & Researched' it. Then the coup-de-gras is to click on the Update Entry button. This finalises all your hard work7. Once that little job is done, let the Editors know you've finished polishing. The best place for this is at the 'Pig & Slag'.

If you, as Gem Polisher, are unhappy with the results let the UG Editors know your concerns before taking it further.

Top Ten Tips

  1. Choosing pieces for polishing that suit your background and/or expertise will help, particularly if you are new to this type of work.

  2. Every effort needs to be made to contact the author.

  3. Your consultation with authors should be of the "Here's what I'd like to change", not the "Here's what I'll change" variety.

  4. Get to know the author - being aware of previous UnderGuide, Edited Guide or CAC pieces is useful.

  5. Read the piece through thoroughly, more than once, to be sure you've understood the author.

  6. Don't automatically correct what you see as errors, confer with the author, they may be there for a reason.

  7. If you find yourself making extensive changes, rewriting sentences, or even phrases, something is probably wrong and you need to consult the UG Editors.

  8. If you feel the reader really needs additional information in order to understand the piece, consider adding a discrete note outside the body of the text. If this significantly alters the look or feel of the piece, again, consult the UG Editors.

  9. If you feel that useful background information can be given through links, then again these should be added outside the body of the text. These links can be made to other UnderGuide Entries, Edited Guide Entries or to external sites you are reasonably sure will be maintained. Pictures from the h2g2 Picture Library can also be added, but only with author go ahead. If any additions significantly alter the look or feel of the piece then, yes you guessed it, consult the UG Editors.

  10. We are a team - Miners, Polishers, UG Editors and authors. We should work collaboratively. Most entries should be knocked into shape, if any knocking is needed, in the AWW. And their gem quality assured in the ‘Pig & Slag’ voting discussions. The more polishers can take part in those, the fewer polishing problems should be encountered.

Technical Bits

Checklist for creating the Polished Gem version of an entry:

  • Credit the original author (Add their U Number).

  • Tick the not for review box.

  • Put '(UG)' in the title after the piece's name.

  • Put in the UG 'blob'. Use the GuideML code <LINK H2G2="A1103329"><PICTURE EMBED="RIGHT" BLOB="B3767758"
    ALT="Official UnderGuide Entry"/></LINK> for this. Make sure the GuideML is placed at the top of the edited Entry, just below the 'BODY' and 'GUIDE' tags.

  • Leave a message at the 'Pig & Slag', giving the 'A' number of the polished entry, so the 'What's Coming Up in the UG' Page can be updated.

Other than the above, just have fun8. That's the ethos of the UnderGuide. Don't take it too seriously.

1Attributed to Terran2Two for One Deals every Second Thursday of the Month.3Approved GuideML is what all Edited Guide entries must be written in because it is not guaranteed that tags that are not on the approved list will continue to be supported in the future. In which case they would stop working.4All right, sometimes it's not so long, and really not that hard and, well...rather like falling off a tree.5Simple text errors. Examples are obvious spelling mistakes or putting in letters, numbers or other bits and pieces like commas, apostrophes, ampersands, colons, placentas and spleens in the wrong places.6Because they think they know best. Most of the time they do. Except that incident with the bear, the honey and the crossing lady.7It's recommended you click on this regularly through the polishing process, as it saves all the work you do in the meantime.8Bear in mind h2g2 House Rules though.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1092575

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more