Gibraltar Airport Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Gibraltar Airport

9 Conversations

Watch out for the plane!

Gibraltar airport is crazy. It is an old RAF station, and the terminal building looks like a few Nissen huts stuck together. The runway is even better, as a main road goes across the middle of it. When a plane wishes to land, they close the runway to cars and pedestrians.

More worryingly there are little signs warning pedestrians not to drop litter, as it may cause the aircraft to crash, though quite how this might happen isn't explained.

The language is difficult to get the hang of, as they speak Spanglish, an interesting mix of Spanish and English. Go to a restaurant, and don't be surprised if you are asked 'Quieres tea or coffee?'

We highly recommend the place, though don't drive in - it will take you five hours to drive back out. If you do insist on driving in, be warned of a potential scam; don't buy a ticket from any dodgy-looking guys just before customs. They'll actually try to sell you a Spanish lottery ticket, and will pretend that you need them to get into the country. You don't.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A109658

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more