h2g2 Summer Party - Whoami?'s Account

0 Conversations

My impressions of London 2003

Once again, I was fortunate, along with a lengthy list of other Researchers and a full complement of Italics, to attend the h2g2 Official Summer Party. If anything, it was with greater apprehension than last year that I walked up to the fledgling crowd of hootooers at a little after 2pm on Saturday. This year, there would be those who knew me and those who didn't. Anyway, enough of me.

Following last year's Summer Party, it was only fitting that the afternoon event should begin crushed around a bench amongst hordes of drooling music fanatics, ticket touts, and an élite team of paramedics and policemen. This year, it was Bon Jovi that was at fault, much to the amusement of a significant portion of the h2g2 crowd. At least we were spared the eardrum-perforating sound checks that were one talking point of 2002. Instead, peace and softball were the orders of the day. That and beer, apparently.

Once again, Researchers who made it to Hyde Park were rewarded with a superb afternoon's weather and an atmosphere unparalleled at any other event in living memory. OK, so that last bit might not be strictly true, but it did feel like it for much of the afternoon.

Meeting the faces behind the names was fantastic; it is always extremely enjoyable not only to catch up with veterans and volunteers, but also the 'younger' Researchers who are still taking their first faltering steps into our vast community. That last group were out in force, and it was pleasing that this was so. I have to admit that I got some funny looks even from other Researchers as I went around wielding the best part of a gallon of drinking water and offering people cups.

Unfortunately I was unable to stay to enjoy the evening's entertainment and inebriation at Penderel's Oak, which I suspect was where the party really got into full swing. However, I travelled to the venue so as to extend my meet experience as far as possible. Travelling on the tube at 6pm was a cramped and tedious occupation which seemed to cause universal grief.

At least, universal grief until we got delayed 'so that the train behind would have a chance to catch up with us'. Consternation turned rapidly to amusement, and many chose to engage in a sarcasm overdose which kept us occupied until it was time to escape from the sweaty tunnels of hell and into the open air again.


Photo's by Pastey

Photo's by Bald Bloke
Photo's by Dr E Vibenstein
Photo's by Munchkin

Whoami?

03.07.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1096616

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more