The h2g2 Photographers

96 Conversations


This page is OUTDATED!.


You can find the Community Artists here.

Some digital cameras, pic taken by h2g2 Photographer Aurora.

For details of all our volunteer schemes, check out the Volunteers page.

Welcome to the h2g2 Photographers' Home Page. The Photographers are a bunch of existing volunteers whose role it is to provide the Editors of h2g2 with appropriate photographs for Edited Guide Entries.

It must be noted that the h2g2 Photographers group is not run by the Editors but by a group of Researchers from within the site. This means that the Editors can focus their time and energy on other parts of the site.

Recent Post promotion: A33204953 and The Post archive is at The Post Photographers' Archive

Requirements

  • Every photo you submit must be one that you have taken yourself - we do not want pictures sourced from elsewhere on the
    Internet.

  • Photographs must be clear. If the submission needs to be cropped, there will need to be enough detail in the cropped area for the picture to be suitable for use on a BBC website.

  • Do NOT submit photos showing people's faces.

  • There are specific guidelines in place with regard to the use of
    children in images on BBC websites. For this reason we cannot accept any pictures that contain images of children. In instances where the image of a child may be appropriate, the Editors will source an illustration, drawing or other non-photographic image. No faces will be considered, even with permission of the subject.

  • Emblems, company logos, football team logos, branded
    merchandising, London Underground signs and billboards cause problems so the best thing to do is to avoid them completely. Other
    sites such as BBC News might be able to bypass these problems thanks to existing arrangements with, say, football teams, but those arrangements don't extend across the whole of the BBC and we sadly don't have the kind of budget that extends to cover this.

  • The Editors receive regular feedback from BBC Editorial Policy
    and also feed-in advice to the Photographers. These guidelines may be
    changed, amended or updated at any time. The Editors will, where
    possible, endeavour to ensure we're informed of any required changes in advance.

Voting For Photographs

We can all nominate entries we think need a picture, in the Database at the Yahoo group. Once a fortnight, the moderators put forward a list of categories/entries for everyone to submit their images to. When that is done, we have a voting frenzy. Each of us gets one vote per entry category - and no, we can't vote for our own image. You can vote for any of the categories, just the one will help the voting process.

It is really important to read the entries before nominating them, submitting an image or even voting. It is very obvious if the entry has not been read as it often will beg for a particular style or composition of image.

Winning photos will be sent to Eds for final OK. The Photographer will get a credit on the EGE to which his or her photo (or artwork) is applied. It does not have to be their own Entry.

Photograph Specifications

All h2g2 Edited Guide pictures are now a specific shape and filesize. They should be 200x200 pixels square, please remember when you are taking your pictures that they will need to be cropped to this size. Try and get your subject in the middle part of the frame.

However, if you're not particularly handy at photo manipulation, the cropping can be done for you by one of the other volunteers. In the first instance, it's always better to work with a picture with as high a resolution as possible.

The Legal Jargon

As with every contribution to h2g2, you agree, by submitting your
contribution, to grant the BBC a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your contribution worldwide and/or to incorporate your contribution in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your contribution, and in accordance with privacy restrictions set out in the BBC's Privacy Policy.

Please also note that anyone submitting photographs for use in the
Edited Guide should be aware that the Editors may decide to crop, reduce or otherwise edit pictures if necessary.

Halls of Fame

To view all photographs that have now been included into the guide, you should view the Hall of Fame pages which are currently kept up to date by Galaxy Babe.

The Photographers Badge

Researchers will earn a Photographers badge for their Personal Space after their 5th photo has been applied. Current badge holders are:

Personal Halls of Fame


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A15846438

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more