The M25 Motorway, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The M25 Motorway, UK

11 Conversations

A classic case of redundant design, this motorway1 actually goes nowhere. It is in some respects verification of Einstein's Theory of General Relativity in that, if you drive along it for long enough, you return to your starting point.

It was designed to divert traffic from driving across London and lorries were banned in the metropolis during the day2 in an attempt to move them onto this road. This was a brilliant plan apart from one small but significant flaw - there wasn't enough room for the traffic that wanted to use it.

Add to this the activities of the Cone Fairy and the recipe for disaster was complete. However, some planner who is obviously some kind of lateral genius or an abuser of mind-altering substances came up with the idea of lowering the speed limit in order to increase the speed of traffic.

Against all logic, this worked.

There are those who say that, when looked at from above3, the shape of the M25 is a demonic sigil4. This of course is completely wrong - Satan's just not that clever.

1Freeway to our American cousins.2Except those with special dispensation which seemed to mean any lorry with over three wheels.3It's one of the few man-made constructions that is visible from space (along with the Great Wall of China)4See Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A179453

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more