The Temple of I.D.I.C.

4 Conversations



We are located in the The Avenue of Small Gods.
Three aliens getting to know one another

Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

The Star Trek principle of IDIC is that since the universise has fashioned an infinite number of creatures, each one is uniquely diverse. This can be summed up in a number of ways.

  • Everyone is unique
  • All viewpoints are valid
  • Oppression is wrong

IDIC is a Vulcan principle1, and hence comes from a logical arguement; not everyone you meet is going to have the same point of view that you have. In Star Trek, this has gone on the form the Prime Directive; a non-interference policy for species below a certain level of development.

IDIC Principles

  • All viewpoints must be given equal billing.
  • Everyone has a different point of view.
  • No ideology is to be given precedence over another.
  • All cultures must be respected.

Put simply, the best way to explain it is a quote:

"I may disagree with everything you say, but I will defend your right to say it.

Or, to put it another way. Since I have not been raised in your culture and have not experienced your life, I cannot understand exactly how you view the world. My culture and upbringing affect how I judge other cultures.

Temple of I.D.I.C. Goals

  1. To increase awareness of IDIC.
  2. To inform H2G2 researchers about the principles of IDIC.
  3. To provide a forum for dicussions on IDIC.

How IDIC Works

IDIC works by attempting to detach emotion from a situation and evaluate all parties interests/desires logically and calculating all possible outcomes.

It sounds too simple. What's the catch?

There's no catch as such, but it does require a certain level of mental training, akin to Zen detachment. Humans instinctively form opinions instantly on analysing a situation, even before they have had time to consiously realise it.

This is because humans instincively form into two "camps" or sides on almost any issue. A typical example would be football2. Football divides the players and crowd into two sides, each with diametrically opposite goals - to win. Both sides canot win, so one must "yield" to the other, albeit through losing the game. One team's goals are overulled by the others. There are parallels with politics and religion.

No-one's advocating the level of logic and dedication required by the Kolinahr3, but detachment of emotions is crutial.

The other problem is that you can't force your views on someone else. The problem is that in writing that sentence, I just did. This is the difficulty for followers of IDIC.

A space landscape

IDIC Membership

Members of IDIC:atlantic_cableObsidian_ButterflyArisztid LugosiEstelendur, AKA GargalugaTáralómë MacHead

Links

1Indeed it is the cornerstone of their philosophy.2Or almost any competitive sport.3The Vulcan ritual of purging all remaining emotions and becoming totally dedicated to logic.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1976097

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more