How to make Impossible Pie Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

How to make Impossible Pie

1 Conversation

This recipe creates a custard pie with a pastry base and coconut topping. You can make this recipe without coconut, in which case it becomes an egg custard with a pastry base.

This recipe works because the pastry ingredients are heavier than the rest of the mixture, and so sink to the bottom, while the lighter coconut rises to the top. It is called Impossible Pie because it seems impossible to think that the gloopy mess can become a pie.

Before you start, make sure you have an oven-safe 25cm wide, 5cm deep dish, an oven and a food processor.

  • Preparation: 5 minutes
  • Cooking Time: 1 hour

You will need:

  • 5 large eggs
  • 175g / 6oz caster sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 450ml / 16fl oz milk
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 50g / 2oz softened butter or margarine
  • 65g / 2½oz plain flour
  • ½tsp baking powder
  • 50g / 2oz desiccated coconut

Method

  1. Pre-heat your oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F), or 160°C (325°F) for a fan oven.
  2. Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz.
  3. Pour into the oven-safe dish.
  4. Bake for an hour.

Cover the pie with foil and store in the fridge. It will keep for two to three days. It is best served cold, but is also nice hot.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A2026946

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more