Ten Lords A-Leaping

3 Conversations

Welcome to h2g2's attempt to decipher the mystery that is the song 'The 12 Days of Christmas'. You've come to the page that is concentrating on the line Ten Lords A-leaping, and here's what our Researchers came up with when we asked them what on earth this line meant.

  • Not so long ago it was an honour and a social coup to be an investor (or a 'Name') in the insurance company Lloyds of London, not to mention a financially-rewarding experience. But after recruiting thousands of Names in the '70s and '80s the firm was hit by a succession of natural disasters, and by 1992 the crisis at Lloyd's reached a head. After years of financial gains thousands of Names were hit with enormous bills, and several committed suicide. Public sympathy was pretty low, but it did provide one of the most enduring images of the post-'80s crash, that of low-flying city stockholders.

  • This line obviously refers to the event when someone scores a six at Lord's Cricket Ground, spiritual home of the strangest game on the planet. Well, Lord's would be leaping if the crowd wasn't so stuffed full of beer, sandwiches, more beer, pork pies, champagne and nibbles from Fortnum and Mason. Toodle pip!

  • The British House of Lords, one house of the British Governmental System (not far in concept from the US Senate) lost its privilege to create hereditary peers in 1999. This means that they no longer have to listen to boring speeches until the wee small hours; instead they can enjoy their traditional pursuits of drinkin', eatin', drinkin', huntin', shootin', fishin' and drinkin' without let or hindrance - until huntin' is banned that is, but this is a Christmas song so we won't get into that now.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A212338

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more