Who Are These Marketing Geniuses?

2 Conversations

Marketing Banner by Greebo T Cat
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy defines the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation as 'a bunch of
mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.'

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand marketing. By which I mean I can't understand how anyone can sit in a office and think of packaging and slogans to make me want to buy toothpaste or toilet paper or tea kettles.

Perhaps it's because I'm a man that the very notion of entering a store and not knowing exactly what I'm going to purchase is foreign to me. When I go to the shops to buy razor blades, I'm looking for the same brand of razor I've shaved with my entire life. No amount of packaging or clever slogans is going to persuade me to buy anything else. Period.

I also know that I would be terrible as a marketing executive. I could stare at a pencil all day and fail to come up with a catchy slogan to make a person want to buy my brand more than any others... What could I possible say?

Writer's block? - Smith Pencils™ do the writing for you!

It just doesn't work does it?

If I had any ability to do marketing, I'm sure I could get paid double what I make in my current job. Sadly for my checking account, I'm simply not able to do it.

Maybe if I forced myself, I could do it, but I would hate myself in the morning.

Anyway, the point behind this rambling first column is to expose what I feel are some of the best examples of marketing copy that I come across in my day-to-day life. (Yes my life is so shallow that I actually read the packaging on floppy disks!)

And to make it a bit more fun for you, my reader, I've decided to make this interactive. That's right, I want you to read my packaging description and the selected bit of prose penned by a marketing executive and place your guesses what the product might be in the forum link provided below . We'll post the answer in next week's column.

Ready to begin? Good.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This week's product comes in a red box so it really catches the eye as it sits on the shelf. Among the descriptors for this invaluable product are the following:

Chisel pointed for extra penetrating power

Guess Here


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


See what I mean about that text? It really sings about its product. Say it aloud and you'll really feel those powerful 'P' words. It makes you realize that this is one product that you simply must buy.

'Curiously enough, an edition of the Encyclopaedia Galactica that had the good fortune to fall through a time warp from a thousand years in the future defined the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation as 'a bunch of mindless jerks who were the first against the wall when the revolution came.'

Who Are These Marketing Geniuses Archive

Jimi X

26.02.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2348020

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more