The Peak District, Derbyshire, UK

0 Conversations

The Peak District is the oldest National Park in England, designated in 1950. The Park covers 500 square miles at the Southern end of the Pennines and serves as the weekend playground for thousands of people from nearby cities such as Manchester, Sheffield and Derby. Most outdoor pursuits are catered for within the bounds of the park, enabling visitors to indulge their passions for hill-walking,
rock-climbing,
caving, cycling or
gliding to name but a few.

The National Park comprises two distinctly different geological areas known as the White Peak (composed of limestone) and the Dark Peak (composed of a type of coarse sandstone known as millstone grit). The interaction between man and his environment has played a heavy part in shaping these landscapes. At one time, the natural vegetation would have been forest with oaks over the acidic soils of the Dark Peak and ash trees over the lowland limestone soils. Over the centuries, the forests have been cleared for farming and habitation, producing vast tracts of open moorland in the Dark Peak and more gentle grassland over the limestone regions.

The Peak District encompasses a wide range of wildlife habitats and is correspondingly rich in flora and fauna. The moorland of the Dark Peak is an important breeding ground for birds such as red grouse and golden plover. Mountain hares can be easily spotted in the Spring, conspicuous in their snowy winter coats. Although wildlife conservation was not the prime intention for the original designation, there are many conservation groups active within the Park boundaries. Groups work with local organisations to ensure the beauty and biodiversity of the Park is maintained without detriment to the livelihood of farming communities or the enjoyment of the region's many visitors.

The Park's many tourist attractions include elegant stately homes such as Chatsworth House; the subterranean delights of the show caves of Castleton; historic villages like the plague village of Eyam and the local well-dressing tradition where flower petal pictures are made and placed around village wells.

If you're planning a visit,
the Peak District Authority can give you loads more information and help to find somewhere for you to stay.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A271513

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more