Well Hello Here

0 Conversations

Recumbentman's Room

Yes, I am Recumbentman. My other name is Andrew Robinson, I live in Dublin, and you are welcome to visit my own home page.

Good of you to drop in,

Welcome to my little room! Pull up a bent and recumb!

Stay cool, unmolested by passing traffic.

Be sure to wear the right headgear.

While you're here, look at some things we can do to support
Tibet.

Link to h2g2 Friends of Tibet.

Try on a thoroughly convincing theory of hobbits.

Gain some true insights about rainbows.

Learn the secrets of being infallible.

It's all quite simple, really.

Alternatively, express your deepest inner silliness in hootoo's own original poetic form, the Rimickle.

I have placed here a list of my edited guide entries; this is mainly for my own amazement.

If you have many hours to waste, read the longest and weirdest nonsense ballad in the language: The Ballad of Grimley Moer and if the bug bites, add to it . . .

Various Obsessions

I am a recovering crossword and su doku addict; nowadays I restrict my indulgence to long journeys and the like. I am however an unrepentant daily Scrabble player; our games normally take half an hour (record so far: 13 minutes). I have made a very useful tabulated list of all the two-letter words accepted in Scrabble this (east) side of the Atlantic, with definitions of the interesting ones like oy and qi; write to me (recumbent viol at gmail dot com — with no space between 'recumbent' and 'viol', all one word) and I will gladly email you a copy as a Word document.

You too can be a member of the H2G2 Philosophers Guild

I did study philosophy once, and my heroes are George Berkeley and Ludwig Wittgenstein.

I studied music under Joseph Groocock. I admired him so much I gave him the only promotion in my power, to father-in-law. (Well, his beautiful, brilliant and loving daughter did have something to do with that decision too.)

I am a viola da gamba player and recumbent cyclist.

I am also keeper of solmization syllables in this, the third age of music.

Beatles Homage Section

Turning 14 in 1962, I undertook to educate myself by listening to the bass line of whatever I heard on the radio. I am therefore a lifelong Beatles fan. When I heard "Please Please Me" I couldn't believe the Beatles were (a) only four (b) English (c) white and (d) their own backing band. They knew how to saturate recording tape like no others. And at that time no other guitar band wrote their own songs.

I could go on . . . so I will. They were very hard to categorise; they started out with non-standard chords ("She Loves You", which also had a refreshingly dirty guitar riff) but didn't get hooked on that; they had a unique liveliness to their backing vocals; they imitated other bands (for instance The Byrds in "If I Needed Someone") and improved on them all; and with the exception of George's, their lyrics were never vapid. (Well OK, "The Fool on the Hill" was. And "Looking Through a Glass Onion." And "Octopus's Garden". But nothing so vapid as for instance late Paul Simon.) I'll stop now, except to say that Paul McCartney revolutionised electric bass-playing. From a thankless treadmill, he transformed it into a nimble, witty and eloquent force, neatly avoiding the tempting morph into jazz bass-playing. Fair play to you, Paul.



(20-8)*6-5*6=42

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A30414494

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more