The h2g2 Post Recipe

0 Conversations

Duck and Two Peppercorn Terrine

This is one of the best methods I've found of cooking duck, barring the legendary crispy duck with pancakes. The vinegar in this dish makes the duck extremely tender and the peppercorns add a bite without overwhelming the flavour of the meat.

Ingredients (serves 2)

  • 2 duckling breasts, skin on
  • 1 dessertspoon green peppercorns
  • 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar will do)
  • 1 small pinch tarragon
  • Potatoes, peas and rosemary to serve

You will also need two small terrine dishes.

What To Do

  1. Soak all the peppercorns in the vinegar for at least 12 hours.
  2. Remove the fatty skin from the duck breasts, and cut both the meat and the fat into thin strips.
  3. Put the peppercorns and their vinegar marinade in a small mixing bowl. Add the duck meat strips and tarragon and mix thoroughly.
  4. Empty the mixing bowl into the two terrine dishes. Push the contents of each dish down, and top each one with two of the strips of fat.
  5. Put the terrine dishes into an oven at 190°C (375°F, Gas Mark 5) for 30 minutes.
  6. With 5 minutes of cooking time remaining, add the remaining fat strips to a dry frying pan and stir-fry over a medium heat to make 'duck scratchings'.
  7. Sprinkle the duck scratchings over the cooked terrines and serve with peas and rosemary roast potatoes.

The Recipe Archive

Master B

20.01.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3548072

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more