Did I Leave The Iron On?

1 Conversation

Did I Leave The Iron On? by Greebo T Cat

Several A/K/A Random's 'sporting blues'

Hi kids! I know y'all are just panting to read this week's AmSports report.

We are at the end of January and there is an endless list of bytes detailing what quarterback ate what for breakfast and what time he took a potty break, what his mommy and her neighbours think and all the other attendant media hype that leads up to the Stupor Bowel on 6 February in Jacksonville, Florida. All the clinical details are best left discussed (cursed !) on other websites.

The Aussie Open tournament, the first of the Grand Slam of tennis, will be on a teevee near you this weekend and, right now, I think all the Russian women netters have a legit chance of winning. They are just simply playing a great game right now1.

So yeah, AmFoot and all the attendant betting and parties and drinking adult beverages (swilling more and making yellow snow... you don't buy beer, you just rent it...) So I found this item:

Bill Holden, a 56-year-old retired teacher, has set off from Camp Verde, Arizona on a 2,100-mile walk to historic Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois to see a baseball game. He is raising awareness and donations for treatment and cure of juvenile diabetes, in honour of Cubs' great third baseman and current announcer Ron Santo, who has lost part of his legs due to diabetes, but still limps on in the fabled ballyard.

Dude's gonna walk the whole way and is expected to arrive at the corner of Clark and Addison 30 June, where he will meet Santo and probably paraded before the media, get a tour of the ballpark with more media, see a ballgame (media) and give post-game interviews (more media) and I wouldn't be surprised if he threw his shoes into Lake Michigan and signed a shoe contract.

We're starting to get time for the National Basketball Association's all-star game, about the midpoint of the season and if nobody's checked out 20-year-old Lebron James of the beloved Cleveland Cavaliers, I have but a few words - forget Michael Jordan. If this kid keeps his head on straight, he'll set records. I mean, I've seen b-ball players from Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Julius Irvong thru Larry Bird and 'Magic' Johnson, and this kid ain't as tall or strong as Wilt, but he's got Doctor J moves and 'Magic' passing, plus developing a Bird sense of sharpshooting.

So, I hope you watched and enjoyed the Aussie tennis last weekend. Check out Lebron James and the Cavs if you get a chance and, above all, STAY WARM!!!!

Any additional comments, questions, etc are greatly accepted and will be promptly replied to or enclosed in a snow-person/thing in the back yard, within sight of the belfry along the icy shoreline of the Great Lake named Erie.

Funny how the belfry overlooks the lake named eeerie, ain't it?

So this is several, a/k/a random, watching water freeze, over and out.

Did I Leave The Iron On? Archive

Several a.k.a. Random 
smiley - vampiresmiley - musicalnote
Master B

03.02.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Please note that this was written for last week's issue. Serena Williams won the lady's singles, so several got that wrong, but Marat Safin from Russia won the men's. A Russian and an Aussie won the lady's doubles, two Zimbabweans won the men's doubles and the Aussies Scott Draper and Samantha Stosur thrilled the crowd by winning the mixed doubles... ed

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A3612331

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more