Did I Leave The Iron On?

1 Conversation

Did I Leave The Iron On? <br/>
by Greebo T Cat

Several A/K/A Random's 'sporting blues'

Hey there, AmSport fans... fans... fans... (gotta do something about that echo!) Following a wonderous weekend of college basketball's mens' and womens' championships, a little tennis and Major League Baseball's Opening Days, plus the world news of a Very Great Man's passing away... your intrepid Post columnist is struggling with his sentence structure AND composition, much to the dismay of our Esteemed Editor, I am sure.

At any rate, the college basketball season is over, the pro basketball season is winding down, baseball (and pro soccer) is beginning and I've only managed to keep a small stash of white chocolate, alas.

Ah, but we have pro golf this weekend, the first Major of 2005 at historic Augusta National golf course down in Georgia, USA, where the magnolias bloom and only the greatest golfers dare to be allowed to compete. Some ninety-eight-and-a-half teevee cameras will be following 90 golfers on the 7,290 yard par 72 course Thursday through Sunday (not counting hand-helds) on national and international satellite links,radio feeds and cyberspace.

Names like Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan and Sam Snead from the 1930's and '40's are brought up, as are Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer from the 1950's and '60's in discussing Masters golf lore. In 2005, however, the top names would be defending champion Phil Mickelson, the number-one-rated Vijay Singh, Ernie Els and (of course) Tiger Woods, a three-time winner of the event.

Interesting names to note include Retief Goosen, Padraig Harrington of Ireland and my attention has been called to a 28-year-old Luke Donald of England in his first Masters competition. The early betting line has Woods 3-1, Mickelson 6-1, Els and Singh at 7-1, until they drop to Goosen at 20-1, Sergio Garcia at 25-1 with Harrington and 65-1 with Luke Donald.

I'd rather wager on the sun coming up.

So spend some weekend Quality Time with your remote and teevee set and WISH you had the green grass of Georgia, AND the cast of groundskeepers, rather than the 20-some miles of frozen Lake Erie out my back window that's depressing the poop out of your intrepid Post columnist.

And Lord (or whatever name you go by), please take Karol Wojtka into your care. He was a good and great man this puny planet was blessed to enjoy.

As always, comments and questions, article submissions on all things sports, will be greatly appreciated here at Did I Leave the Iron On section of the Post. This is several, a/k/a random, heading for a cold, refreshing, adult beverage once I get thru my e-mail box, over and out.


Elsewhere, in a Small Place Called Europe

The big news in Rugby Union this week was that Guinness will sponsor the Premiership when Zurich Insurance bow out at the end of the season. The deal is said to be worth over £20m. I wonder if the players are entitled to free drinks after each game. smiley - drunk

There were no Premiership games last weekend as teams battled it out in the Heineken Cup and European Challenge Cup. Unfortunately Northampton Saints lost to Toulouse 37-9 so will play no further part in this competition. The only home-grown team still in the running is Leicester.

Saints play Bath on Saturday and a win would guarantee their place in the Premier League next year. They have just signed a two-year deal with New Zealander Robbie Kydd, previously of Bath and Saracens, who qualifies to play in the EU through his Scottish father.

Balls of a Different Shape

The Champions League grinds on with the teams playing the first legs of the Quarter-finals. Tuesday saw Liverpool winning 2-1 at home to Juventas. This was the first time the two teams had played each other since the Heysel Stadium Tragedy in Belgium when rioting Liverpool supporters caused a wall to collapse killing 39 Juventas fans. There was a minute's silence before the match started and the club did its very best to offer an olive branch to the visiting Italians. Elsewhere, in France, Lyon drew 1-1 with PSV Eindhoven1. This puts the Dutch team at a disadvantage according to the home/away scoring system but TM is confident that they'll easily pull back when playing at home. The two Milans played each other on Wednesday, the AC version beating the Inter 2-0. Finally Chelsea continued their goal rampage beating Bayern Munich 4-2.

Did I Leave The Iron On?

Archive

Several a.k.a. Random 
smiley - vampiresmiley - musicalnote
ShazzPRME

07.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

Post 250 Banner by Pad-AlphaZ-9
1Pronounced 'Pay-es-vay I-ndhoven' for those interested.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A3866691

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more