The Shadow - the Forgotten Radio Legend Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Shadow - the Forgotten Radio Legend

6 Conversations

An old style radio and microphone

In a time before television, people would listen to the radio for enjoyment. Usually, a family would sit in their living room, and listen to one of the many broadcasts available. It was like a TV in some ways. There were many genres of shows, and the radio show was a part of life.

The Shadow

One of the many heroes of this age was The Shadow. Created by Walter Gibson, the Shadow became a popular figure throughout the 1930s, 1940s and part of the 1950s. His exploits were followed by the movies, the radio - which is where he gained the most followers - and in pulp novels. The Shadow's real name on the radio show is that of Lamont Cranston, a 'wealthy young man about town' who had gone to the Far East and had learned the secret of 'clouding men's minds'. Beside him was the lovely Margot Lane, who, unlike her similarly-named contemporary Lois Lane, was a unique character in that she was a woman and acted as more than bait. Margot was a part of the team.

The radio show was a success, and the character of the The Shadow was even voiced by the likes of Orson Welles, and over the years many people voiced this great man, who made sure that 'the weed of crime bears bitter fruit...' The show's popularity was enormous, and spanned more than two decades.

But for some reason, The Shadow, unlike his contemporaries such as Superman and Batman, died out. Now it exists only in the memories of those who remember him, and those who rediscover him.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A403589

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more