Four Types of Bok Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Four Types of Bok

3 Conversations

The word 'bok' can be interpreted in many ways. Below are four such examples.

  • Professor Bart Jan Bok (1906 - 1983) was a noted astronomer whose name has been immortalised with the Bok Globule. This is a small, dark cloud of stellar gas and dust which is in the process of condensing into one or more stars. Bok's work was dedicated to understanding and promoting the structure of the Milky Way.

  • The Bok Tower in central Florida is the centre piece of a large expanse of carefully sculpted gardens. It is 205 feet tall and is also home to a 57-bell carillon1. The gardens were developed by the Dutch writer and humanitarian Edward William Bok (1863 - 1930) who was a Pulitzer Prize winner and established the American Peace Award.

  • The Bristol Orienteering Klub, England was formed in 1971. Its purpose has been to promote the activity of orienteering in the local area and it currently represents one of the largest clubs of its kind in the United Kingdom. It is a member club of the South West Orienteering Association.

  • A bok is a type of Chinese vegetable - more precisely Bok Choy2. It looks like a cross between a stick of celery and a leek. It usually consists of several spoon-shaped, white stems with tightly clustered, dark green leaves at the top. It is available all year round in the Far East.

Bok Choy Soup

Ingredients

  • Pork/Chicken broth
  • Chinese mushrooms
  • Bok choy
  • Diced tofu (if desired)
  • A few drops of sherry
  • A few drops of sesame oil
  • Scallion/spring onion, chopped

Method

  1. To make a very simple and delicious soup, begin with the broth: pork or chicken bones simmered in canned chicken broth.

  2. Then add soaked and sliced Chinese mushrooms. Let them simmer for at least 15 minutes.

  3. Then add sliced bok choy and diced tofu (if desired). Simmer until the bok choy is tender, but still on the crisp side. At the last minute, add a few drops of sherry, a few drops of sesame oil, and a chopped scallion.

  4. Bring back up to a simmer, and serve.

1A carillon is a set of bells activated by a keyboard.2Bok choy is the American spelling of pak choi.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A436321

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more