The physiology of fear

4 Conversations

Fear

is a very common emotion.

When the brain detects stress (anger or fear), the human body releases a hormone called adrenalin, or epinephrine, which then acts to increase heart rate, blood pressure, cardiac output and blood sugar. It stimulates the circulatory system and the sympathetic nervous system, so blood is diverted from other organs to the muscles, the breathing rate increases to bring more oxygen to the muscles and sweating increases to cool the muscles.

There is also a theory that the secretion of adrenaline also makes the time appear to pass slower so that we have more time to react to the situation.

The adrenal gland

consists of two parts: the inner portion -the medulla and the outer portion - cortex. These two are separate but closely related endocrine organs.

The medulla secretes two types of hormones: adrenalin or epinephrine and noradrenalin or norepinephrine. Norephinephrine is very important in maintaining normal blood circulation and is used in medical emergencies to raise blood pressure. The cortex cannot be removed surgically without endangering the patient, while the medulla can.

Anxiety

is the anticipation of imminent danger and the source is unfamiliar.

Sigmund Freud thought anxiety was triggered when someoneĀ“s aggressive or sexual drives made them behave unacceptably.
Some believe that anxiety is learned when innate fears occur with previously neutral objects or events.

Phobia

,an irrational fear of a specific object, situation, or activity. Phobic people often live with a lot of restrictions.

There are three major types of phobias: simple phobias (the fear of a specific object), agoraphobia (the fear of open public spaces) and social phobias. Agoraphobia is much more often seen in treatment than any other type, but psychiatrists still think that simple phobias are more common.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A453052

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more