US Scouting - Girl Scout Ceremonies Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

US Scouting - Girl Scout Ceremonies

0 Conversations

Girl Scout troops may hold ceremonies for a variety of reasons, such as holidays, transition events, recognition of achievement, or just to celebrate a special time or feeling.

All Girl Scout ceremonies have an opening, a main part, and a closing. The opening is used to welcome guests and to set the mood, and frequently includes a formal flag ceremony. The main part of the ceremony is generally planned by the girls themselves, and may include readings, poems, skits, songs, or candle lightings1. The closing wraps up the ceremony, and might include a song, friendship circle, or the recession of the flag bearers. Small, informal opening and closing ceremonies are used by some Girl Scout troops to mark the beginning and ending of meetings.

Ceremonies of Membership

Investiture

An investiture ceremony is when a girl officially joins Girl Scouting. During an investiture ceremony a girl often recites the Girl Scout promise for the first time and receives her membership pin. Investiture ceremonies for Daisy Girl Scouts often focus on the meaning behind the Daisy Petals, while ceremonies for Brownie Girl Scouts almost always follow the English folktale of the Brownie fairies, ending with:

Twist me and turn me and show me the elf
I looked in the water and saw.... myself!
Investiture ceremonies involving Juniors, Cadettes, Seniors, and Adults are more likely to focus on the meaning of the Girl Scout Law.

Rededication

Rededication ceremonies are often performed in conjunction with investiture ceremonies, as returning members rededicate themselves while the new members are invested. Like investitures, rededication ceremonies often focus on the Girl Scout Law. Many rededication ceremonies involve symbols, such as colours, flowers, or candles that are presented as the part of the law represented is spoken. Some troops chose to use the rededication ceremony as an opportunity to explain what the Girl Scout Law means to the girls.

Bridging and Fly-up

Bridging and Fly-up ceremonies occur when girls move from one level of Girl Scouting to the next. The Fly-up ceremony is when Brownie Girl Scouts receive their wings and 'fly up' to Junior Girl Scouts. All other programme levels 'cross the bridge' to the next level. These ceremonies often involve Girl Scouts of the programme level being advanced to, who receive the girls as they 'fly' or 'bridge'. The girls are then presented with a symbol of the next level, such as their new membership pin, sash, or vest. Traditionally, these ceremonies take place outdoors when possible, and often occur in parks where actual bridges over streams can be used.

Welcome Ceremonies

Welcome ceremonies are similar to investiture ceremonies in that they are a celebration of a new member, although they are generally more informal. Welcome ceremonies are performed to welcome new Troop Leaders, and to welcome new girls at their troop first meeting.

Ceremonies for Special Girl Scout Days

Founder's Day

Founder's Day celebrates Juliette Low's birthday, 31 October. As this holiday coincides with Halloween, it is not uncommon for girls to participate in costume. Ceremonies on Founder's Day usually focus on Juliette Low's life and her contributions to Girl Scouting, and often take shape as a birthday party, with cake and all.

Thinking Day

Thinking Day, on 22 February, celebrates Girl Scouting and Girl Guiding around the world. All members of the World Association of Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting (WAGGGS) celebrate Thinking Day on this date. These ceremonies focus on international friendship, cultural understanding, and the ways in which the Girl Scout Promise and Law transcend national borders. Girls in their first year of Girl Scouting frequently receive their World Trefoil Pin during this ceremony.

Girl Scout Birthday

The Girl Scout Birthday is on 12 March, and the week is known as 'Girl Scout Week'. Girls can receive a special patch for wearing their uniforms to their place of worship during that week. The celebration on the Girl Scout Birthday is generally similar to that of Founder's Day.

Leader Appreciation Day

Leader Appreciation Day is on 22 April, and is the day on which troops, service units, or councils hold ceremonies honouring the contributions of Troop Leaders and other volunteers. During these ceremonies leaders are often presented with certificates, awards, poems, or other tokens of appreciation.

Ceremonies of Achievement

Court of Awards

Court of Awards ceremonies can range from a small to-do for passing out badges at the end of a troop meeting, to a large, more formal ceremony held once or twice a year for presenting all the badges and other awards the girls have earned since the last ceremony. These ceremonies often include recitations and/or skits written by the girls, describing the experiences they had while earning the awards being presented. At every age level of Girl Scouting, it's important to make the effort in Court of Awards ceremonies not to emphasise who has earned the most badges and awards.

Gold and Silver Award Ceremonies

As the Gold and Silver Awards are the highest awards that can be earned by Cadette and Senior Girl Scouts, the presentation of these awards almost always merits its own ceremony. Silver Award ceremonies may be conducted at the troop or local level, but Gold Award ceremonies are generally formal affairs at the state or council level. In many areas of the United States, Gold Award ceremonies are held at the state capital and the girls are presented the award by their governor. These ceremonies generally include presentations, by speech, slide show, or poster, that detail the Gold Award projects the girls undertook.

Senior Graduation

These ceremonies often combine elements from a traditional school graduation ceremony with that of the bridging ceremony. Not only are these girls graduating from high school, they are bridging to Adult Girl Scouts as well.

General Ceremonies

Flag Ceremonies

Flag ceremonies are most often used as openings and closings of larger ceremonies, but can also be 'stand-alone' ceremonies, especially on national holidays such as Flag Day and Independence Day. These ceremonies generally include at least two flags, the American flag and the Girl Scouts of the USA flag, and may include the WAGGGS flag, a troop flag, or the state flag as well. A Girl Scout flag ceremony generally involves a flag bearer plus one or two colour guards for each flag, as well as a speaker or announcer. Both the Pledge of Allegiance and the Girl Scout Promise are recited during a Girl Scout flag ceremony.

Scouts' Own and Campfire Ceremonies

Scouts' Own and Campfire ceremonies can include parts of almost any of the other ceremonies. They may be a joyful celebration of simply being a Girl Scout or a more meditative ceremony focusing on being in touch with nature. One of the hallmarks of Scouts' Own and Campfire ceremonies is that they, more so than any other Girl Scout ceremonies, are usually completely planned and conducted by the girls themselves. Campfire ceremonies often include unique features such as friendship or wish sticks, and the use of safe chemicals to produce coloured flames.

References

Ceremonies in Girl Scouting, Girl Scouts of the USA.

1For safety reasons, many troops (especially those with younger girls) use small flashlights instead of candles.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A480700

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more