US Scouting - Junior Girl Scouts Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

US Scouting - Junior Girl Scouts

0 Conversations

When Americans hear the words 'Girl Scout', they most often associate them with the young girls in green uniforms who are Junior Girl Scouts.

Who can be a Junior Girl Scout?

Junior Girl Scouts are girls who are aged eight to 11, or who are in third to sixth grades. Girl Scouting in the US is open to all girls, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or disability.

Junior Uniforms and Insignia

The uniform for Junior Girl Scouts is jade green and white. While uniforms are not required for Girl Scouts, many girls prefer to have at least a sash or vest for their badges and insignia. Additional uniform components include a scarf, skirt, pants, shorts, leggings, a T-shirt, blouses, cardigan sweater and hat.

All Junior Girl Scouts wear the Girl Scout Pin, which they receive at their investiture ceremony if they are new to Girl Scouting, or at their bridging ceremony if they were previously Brownie Girl Scouts. The World Association Pin is worn directly above the Girl Scout Pin.

Over their years as Junior Girl Scouts, girls may earn badges which are worn on the front of the vest or sash. Juniors can also earn the 'Junior Aide' badge for working with Brownie troops, one of the Junior Signs1 for exploring Girl Scouting in depth, or the Junior Leadership Pin for developing leadership skills and conducting a community service project. These badges and pins are also worn on the front of the sash or vest. Girls may receive patches for participating in various events, such as a food drive or a skating party. These patches are unofficial, and are worn on the back of the sash or vest.

What do Junior Girl Scouts do?

Junior Girl Scouts participate in many of the same activities that younger and older Girl Scouts do, albeit with considerably more independence than the Brownies and with more adult direction than the Cadettes and Seniors.

  • Juniors earn badges on topics ranging from 'Caring for Children' to 'Outdoor Cook' to 'Video Production'.

  • Juniors also continue to explore the outdoors, often with camping trips, canoeing, hiking, and horseback riding.

  • Juniors might explore the arts by creating and performing a puppet show, experimenting with photography, or making their own jewellery.

  • Juniors also work on service projects, such as organizing food drives or sewing quilts for ill or abandoned babies.

  • And, of course, Juniors also participate in traditional Girl Scout activities such as selling Girl Scout cookies and learning first aid skills.

During their last year in Junior Girl Scoutings, the girls work on special activities to prepare them to bridge to Cadette Girl Scouts.

1The Junior Signs include the Sign of the Rainbow, which focuses on exploring all areas of Girl Scouting; the Sign of the Sun, which focuses on health, fitness, and sports; the Sign of the Satellite, which focuses on science and the environment; and the Sign of the World, which focuses on communications, leadership, and cultural understanding.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A480827

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more