Georgia, USA

1 Conversation

The Peach State is one of the states that makes up the the American South. As you're driving along the highways of Georgia, you will probably notice a surprising amount of kudzu and an alarming number of Waffle Houses1.


Georgraphy


History


Georgia was originally founded as a Bristish colony. James Oglethorpe and 114 colonists established the colony in 1733. James Oglethorpe laid out the city of Savannah ensured the intial survival of the colony and once he was finsihed, he left.


...

The Government

Georgia is a low tax state with a very decentralized government. The state has 159 counties, more than any other state except Texas. For some reason, the State of Georgia seems fond of having numerous small agencies that administer things like the Georgia World Congress Center and Stone Mountain Park.

They seem to operate under the theory that if one agency is good, then three or even a dozen are better. There are three statewide uniform police agencies the Georgia State Patrol, the Department of Natural Resources Rangers, and the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety. In addition those there are 12 state investigative agencies not including the Georgia Bureau of Investigations.

Amazingly enough, the state of Georgia is able to provide some excellent state services. It has a premiere state park system. Most state parks will have something to interest anyone. There will be areas for hiking, picnicking, something of historical interest, and boats for rent if there's a body of water.


Touring Georgia


It's possible for a tourist to have a good time and see beautiful and historic place in almost all of Georgia's 159 couties. Go to the county seat and look for the 'chamber of commerce.' In most places, there will be blue and white signs that say 'Tourist Information' that will lead you to the chamber. Chambers of commerece will have brocures about local sites. In many counties, there's an appreciation for history. Many communities will have a walking tour of historic sites around the town.


Of course, there are numerous activities for those who want to visit Georgia. Atlanta nightlife, Civil War history, beautiful forests and parks, River Street in Savannah, tourist traps like Helen in North Georgia. The Department of Tourism lists numerous sites and activites.


State Symbols

BirdBrown Thrasher
CropPeanut2
FruitPeach
MottoWisdom, Justice & Moderation
Prepared FoodGrits
ReptileGopher Tortoise
Song'Georgia on My Mind
TreeLive Oak

More State Symbols

Hitchhikers Guide to Georgia

Places to Go and Things to See

Famous Residents and Visitors

Restaurants Not Yet Reviewed by Ford Prefect


Further Reading

1It's possible that state law requires two Waffle Houses on each exit of Interstate 75.250% of the peanuts produced in the United States come from Georgia. President Carter, a native or Georgia and former governor was a peanut farmer.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A568334

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more