Procrastination

1 Conversation

Oh, It Can Wait...


Procrastination is the art of putting off until tomorrow what could be done today. The ultimate aim of the procrastinator is to put off a task long enough that someone else will take on the job for them. It is most prevalent amongst students and men shopping for Christmas presents1 though it can also be seen in authors who take years to finish writing their latest novel and anyone else who doesn't really like their job.

No It Can't...


The main way of getting around procrastination, and actually getting to the stage of completing a task, is to find another even more distasteful task to complete instead. There is a pecking order to the level of distaste that a certain task will incur and a
corresponding procrastination order. Tasks approaching the top of the list will only be completed under a credible threat of Death or Pain2. Note that
the threat must be a credible one, in other words, one that is likely to be carried out, or the procrastinator will just disbelieve it and will continue to put off completion of the task.


Whilst these threats are equally applicable to tasks further down the list, the completion of those tasks can similarly be encouraged by the simple appointment of a more distasteful job. For example, for the majority of the year a typical teenager's bedroom will be a
complete mess; nothing could be done to encourage the youngster to tidy things away. However, as soon as the prospects of exams and revision appear on the horizon, the place will be spotless.

The Distaste List


Below is an example of one researcher's distaste list. Each individual's list is likely to be slightly different but turns out to be extremely useful in getting them to do something.

  1. Revision for exams
  2. Do It Yourself work
  3. Household Chores
  4. Coursework
  5. Cooking Dinner
  6. Shopping
  7. Reading a Novel
  8. Watching Television
  9. Accessing H2G2
  10. Going out with friends


Numbers at the top half of the list are most disliked whilst numbers further down are vastly preferred and actually enjoyed. Now, in order to get this researcher to do any of the top five tasks, you must first make sure that they cannot do any of the last five, for example, by grounding them, disconnecting the computer from the internet, refusing to renew the TV liscense, burning all the books and making sure the shops are closed. Then in order to get them to cook the evening meal you should ask them whether they have any coursework. And, before you can say 'procrastination', you have a five course Cordon Bleu meal laid out on the table in front of you.

1This is why the stores are always packed with people on Christmas Eve2Threats of failing an exam or losing your job are usually considered an acceptable alternative

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A580132

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more