Mini - Meet

1 Conversation

I discovered that Archangel Galaxy Babe lived within travelling distance of my home so we arranged to meet up. I decided
to go by train because it only involved changing once and seemed straight forward. The journey however was the most bizarre I have had in a long time.

The bit between Doncaster and AGB's was ok... it was the bit between home and Doncaster. First of all the taxi driver arrived early to take me to the station... unheard of in my hometown... you book them 15 minutes before you need them. So I rushed off to the station... it's just a tiny station,two platforms and a bridge to go across. An announcement said that the train for Doncaster was now coming in on platform 1, but I was on platform 2! So myself and about
20 other people legged it across the bridge... only then to see the signalman hanging out of his box shouting:
'Otherside, it's coming in on the otherside.'

Twenty people set off at at speed to the other side just in time to catch the train... There was a lot of cursing and grumbling!

Struth... but it didn't end there... half way to Doncaster a man got on the train who sat next to me and insisted I read his file of complaints about the train service. I couldn't get away! Then he started telling dirty jokes and then started telling me about his sex life... at this point the flowers I'd bought for AGB gave up the will to live, and the old lady in the seat behind gave a sort of strangled cry... I hope she survived! I staggered out at Doncaster hoping to lose him in the crowd... well actually I ran into the ladies toilet.

All the male staff at the station appeared to be dressed like military police and the female staff like air hostesses, most bizarre.The journey to AGB's station went smoothly. I had forgotten to tel AGB I'd changed my hair colour again and was now red not blue... but I recognised her from her photos of previous meets. She was looking for someone with blue hair.

We set off to a nice place she knew for lunch.The waitress, on hearing I had been on a train for 3 hours, insisted on bringing us some tea straight away. I can honestly say I have never had such nice fish and chips... the plate was enormous... and it was cooked just right. Then we thought we might have some room for an icecream. We orderd a toffee delight. Whilst we were waiting AGB asked the waitress to take our picture... she was really nice and didn't hesitate as if it happened all the time.

The 'icecream' arrived... it was as big as my head! An enormous knickerbocker glory type thing covered in whipped cream. Well what could we do but dive in. It was delicious.

We got on really well, it's nice to talk to someone who is the same age, from the same era. However too soon it was time to go. We, or at least I, had a struggle to get up after that enormous lunch. Luckiiy the station wasn't far. AGB is going to try to visit me next time. I bought her flowers and she bought me some beautiful candles.

All went fine from AGB's to Doncaster... the train even had a trolley serving coffee etc. I Get back to Doncaster Station only
to find there is no train home... but a bus will be provided instead. Said bus only stops at one stop so will have to get another train when I get off the bus(groan). We are directed to the bus by a strange lady in an orange jacket... unfortunately she directed some people to the wrong bus, chaos ensues for a good half an hour. Eventually we set off only to find we can't get out of Doncaster because the road is strewn with dead chickens.(At this point my daughter texted me 'makes a change from leaves on the line')
A lorry had shed it's load of ready-plucked chickens... I am trapped on a bus with a man behind me who stinks of garlic and keeps shouting into his mobile phone and two lads infront fresh from army barracks who talk constantly of beating people up and driving large vehicles in loud voices whilst looking around to make sure everyone hears them .AAARRGGHHHHH I'm on One Foot in the Grave... it's too surreal to be true.

I get to the end of journey and walk over to the next platform for a train home... an announcement... there will be a delay as they have LOST the train!! Eventually, some time later, they find a free train and I am on my way home. It has taken me three and a half hours to travel what normally takes less than an hour, and has been one of the most weird journeys of my life.

I haven't been able to stop laughing about it .My daughter says I attract these things... AGB be careful... it may be catching!
Despite that I would advise anyone to go on a mini-meet... it is fun and you meet some lovely people.


Tabitca


22.11.01. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A660557

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more