Films of Books Have Three Purposes...

1 Conversation

... to provide an easy way out for people who couldn't be bothered to read the book; to provoke people who didn't have time to read the book to make some time; and to annoy the people who have actually read the book.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't watch a film based on a book I've read without noticing every little thing (or person1) that has been left out or altered.

So Why Do They Do It?

For the people controlling the funding of the film, who obviously have ultimate control, films based on books are a safe bet2. Any book with an 'established fanbase', as the media people tend to call it, will attract a reasonable number of people to come see it, and the various tie-in versions of the book will ensure that they at least break even. Yes, people will actually buy a copy of a book they already have, just because it has pictures from the film on the cover.

Forget that these people already know how the story goes, they're looking for the interpretation. And the casting of the characters. And the opportunity to emerge knowing that, in at least one very important way, they could have done it better. I know. I speak as a person who regularly leaves films saying 'He looks too old/young/hairy/skinny to be XXX'. (often to find out that the actor is in fact older than he looks, and that the book doesn't mention facial hair or Body Mass Index - maybe more books should take up this practice, it would certainly make life easier for the filmmakers).

Why Must We Feel This Way? Why Can't They Just Get It Right?

A major problem in the translation is that books are bigger than films. By this I mean that an ordinary-sized book, even one heavy on description, even when a picture is worth a thouand words, will still need significantly more than the average length of a film to incorporate everything. So filmmakers are forced to cut whichever bits they feel they can get away with, to keep the film within the reach of the attention span3 of the average cinema-goer. Which leaves people like me to come out of a film, blinking into the unaccustomed daylight, crying 'But what about the...'

Rewards For The Hard Work

For this reason I have come to think that it is impossible to create a film from a book whereby all the people who have read the book will agree that it is 'right'. So I am proposing a new set of awards, for actors who have portrayed characters from books I have read in a way that was as good as (or better than) I imagined4. There would also be a mention for the director, and for the person in charge of casting the winner in that role.

My first three nominees would be Anthony Hopkins, Alan Rickman, and Viggo Mortensen. Votes, other nominations, and guesses at what roles these three were nominated for5 are all welcome.

A slightly less biased, but more example-ridden, examination of this phenomenon can be found at Films Based on Books.


Catwoman


23.05.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1 After that there's really no hope for them.2As far as such a thing exists...3And bladder capacity...4Obviously the title will have to be condensed a bit.5Although only two need any actual guessing.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A754472

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more