H2G2 Living Earth Society

16 Conversations

The Living Earth

Welcome all to the H2G2 Living Earth Society

This is an area where people with an interest in the forces affecting our home planet can come to discuss news items of interest, share their experiences, seek advice and read interesting guide entries related to natural phenomena on our planet.

A butterfly's effect on world climateEarthquake

This is the page to talk about all sorts of natural earth phenomena - Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Hurricanes, Tornados, Blizzards and Ice Storms, Rainstorms, El Nino, Lightning Strikes, Floods, Meteorite Strikes, Climate Change, Droughts, Landslides, Avalanches, Tsunamis, and all sorts of phenomena that reveal to us that the Earth is alive, and very active!

This is also the page where people can talk about plate tectonics, the geological record, the fossil record, mountain formation, glaciations and any ancient processes or cataclysms that caused our Earth to be what it is today.

Hot Topics

Could the events portrayed in "The Day after Tomorrow" really happen? Here's what the weathermen think.

It's monsoon season again! Find out more about the monsoon, why it happens, and what its effects are.

The Royal Geographic Society has released some interesting pictures from its archives.

How to join

  • Just add your name to the forum Yes, I want to join below, and you will be added into our members list!
  • Then, click here to stay abreast of any topics that people might wish to talk about. I post news updates on a regular basis to this page!
  • Volcano
  • Then, post any topic of interest to this page, and get talking!
  • If you have put an Earth related article in Peer Review, let me know!

Entries in Peer Review

Earth Science topics currently in Peer Review. Let me know if you want an entry displayed here...

JimiX has written an article on Earthquakes in Pennsylvania. Take a look!

Researchers' Experiences

"It was bright blue/white, about the size of a pea, and only lasted a second or so, exploding, in a pop/phutt."

Have you personally experienced a severe weather event or geological event? Or, have you visited a place of outstanding natural beauty? Tell us about it!

The Researchers' Experiences Page contains accounts of our close encounters with nature.

Latest News

Here are a few pieces of selected news from around the world.

Researchers' Experiences

"I saw that the earth was rolling and we all started to get a bit sea-sick because of the rolling and pitching."

Have you personally experienced a severe weather event or geological event? Or, have you visited a place of outstanding natural beauty? Tell us about it!

The Researchers' Experiences Page contains accounts of our close encounters with nature.

Worth Reading

Here are few H2G2 guide entries of interest.

Plate Tectonics for Beginners : How to Survive Extreme Weather : Kick 'em Jenny : Recognising Tornadoes for the Layman : The Tambora Volcano

Here is a more comprehensive list of Living Earth Entries.

Cool Links

Please let me know if you have found other pages of interest!

Members List

U30129 : U167283 : Archangel Galaxy Babe : U151503 : Marijn : Kaz : Xanatic : Gosho : U191777 : Floh Fortuneswell : Apparition : U290 : U181477 : AlecTrician : U276 : U131178 : Pheloxi* : ThePencilQueen : DoctorMO : U175610 : U55612: U185146: U189721 : U205101 : U198156 : Demon Drawer : Turvy : friendlywithteeth : Listy-Lou : The Return of the Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase : U244910 : U244865 : U552734 : Postive Thinker : thebluestbutterfly : U635735
: U768396 : Scandrea and Tracer : Arrietty42 : Commander SuperMoo

Other related societies

Environmental Society

H2G2 Astronomy Society

Contact Me

[email protected]


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A765263

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more