Kew Gardens' Important Trees: Overview Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Kew Gardens' Important Trees: Overview

1 Conversation

The shield of Science, Mathematics and Engineering faculty of the h2g2 University.
Kew Gardens' Important Trees
Overview | English Oak | Chestnut-leaved Oak | Holm Oak | The Lucombe Oak | Turner's Oak | Indian Horse Chestnut | Sweet Chestnut | Corsican Pine | Stone Pine | North American Tulip Tree | Caucasian Elm | False Acacia | Maidenhair Tree | Oriental Plane | Pagoda Tree


A Lockerbie Oak tree

Kew Royal Botanical Gardens, also known as KRBG, are home to many important trees and plants, as well as being a leading centre for exploration, conservation and identification. The Gardens have some exceptional plants, particularly trees. These are split into two classifications, the 'Heritage Trees' and the 'Old Lions'.

The Heritage Trees are some of the best examples of trees from around the world dating back to the early 18th Century. Some were the first examples of their species to be planted in the UK.

These are:

The Old Lions is the name given to the few remaining trees from the original plantings in the then newly-created five-acre Kew arboretum in 1762. This was laid out by William Alton, close to the Orangery with plants from the Duke of Argyll's estate at Whitton. He was the uncle of Lord Bute, the botanical advisor of Princess Augusta, who founded the gardens.

The Old Lions are:

This series of Entries describes each of these trees, both the specimen that is in Kew and the species in general. Just follow the link on the name of the tree.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A80841413

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more