Colours of Wildlife: The African Barred Owlet

1 Conversation

Willem is a wildlife artist based in South Africa. He says "My aim is simply to express the beauty and wonder that is in Nature, and to heighten people's appreciation of plants, animals and the wilderness. Not everything I paint is African! Though I've never been there, I'm also fascinated by Asia and I've done paintings of Asian rhinos and birds as well. I may in future do some of European, Australian and American species too. I'm fascinated by wild things from all over the world! I mainly paint in watercolours ... but actually many media including 'digital' paintings with the computer!"

Colours of Wildlife: The African Barred Owlet: Glaucidium capensel

This lovely little owl belongs to the genus Glaucidium, same as the Pearl-spotted Owlet, which was my very first illustration for Colours of Wildlife! This genus occurs in Africa and Asia, with many species, all being on the small side. They are related to the Little Owl, Athene noctua, of Eurasia and North Africa, and the Burrowing Owl, Athene cunicularia, of the Americas.

The Barred Owl is quite rare – but I’ve seen it! In the Kruger National Park. It has a purring call, by which I managed to track it down. It is about the size of a dove. It nests in natural cavities in trees … it is a bit too big to use old woodpecker holes, since the South African woodpeckers are all quite small. It mainly eats small mammals, birds and insects. Not much else is known of its behaviour or breeding. It occurs in woodlands or forests of South- to East Africa, with an isolated population in the Albertine Rift mountains (the most prominent of which are the Ruwenzori Mountains), and another one in the rainforests of West Africa. Those populations might constitute distinct subspecies or even species, sometimes called the Chestnut Owlet. There is also a population in the Eastern Cape that is separated by many hundreds of kilometers from the next closest population in Kwazulu-Natal, which also might constitute a separate subspecies or species. It would really help if we could know more about the internal genetic diversity of this species or species complex.

Colours of Wildlife Archive

Willem

16.01.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87734884

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more