The h2g2 Meet report: Mancunian Air

1 Conversation

Friday

Those who've read previous meet reports may remember that where I go, chaos reigns. In order for this not to happen this time, I prepared: I checked maps and itineraries, recorded instructions to listen to on my mp3 player, took screenshots of maps and saved them in my ebook reader. I even started packing my suitcase two days before departure. Then chaos struck: ground crew at Frankfurt airport went on strike the day before I meant to leave for Manchester. The list of cancelled flights for Friday was published late afternoon on Thursday – my flight was not on the list. smiley - puff.

However, pessimist that I sometimes am, I hadn't bothered to go to the bank to change money into a currency I could actually spend in England, and I hadn't finished packing my suitcase. Still, all went well on Friday morning: security was a breeze and I didn't even have to open my suitcase due to liquids I'd accidentally put in there. There was a delay of 90 minutes, and we had to change gates half way through the waiting period, but that was OK.

I arrived in Manchester OK, found the train station, bought a ticket and hopped on the next train to Manchester Piccadilly where I was supposed to catch a tram to Deansgate. I walked out the station - and couldn't detect a tram stop. By mere chance I discovered the tracks, and, following them, discovered they led back into the station. That was a novelty to me, I've never seen a tram go into a station.

What happened after I arrived at Deansgate is a long story. To cut it short: it took me more than two hours to find my hotel which is only 500m from the station. I have to say, though, that Mancunians are very friendly (even if each person I asked sent me off in another direction) and they went out of their way to find out where I should go. The staff at Wagamamma, where I stopped for a cup of tea, even got out a blackberry – but the internet wouldn't play. Same happened a while later with a young man who tried to get an internet connection to open google maps. It's not their fault that apparently, the internet in Manchester is cr@p.

Originally, I had intended to seek out a second-hand store to look for books, but my feet were killing me, so I put them up until Milla arrived and we set out to go to the pub and have a bite on our way there. While searching for the pub we met Titania, who couldn't find it, either. We asked a few people, but nobody had ever heard of the pub. At last we found a young man who knew and told us it was where the man was standing. We headed off, then we heard a shout: the man told us we had already gone too far! Good job he was still there and watched what we were doing.

Lots of h2g2 researchers had already assembled in the pub and we had a great evening drinking h2g2 beer which had been brewed especially for the occasion.

Saturday

We got up that late that we nearly missed breakfast (and were shooed from our table the moment we had finished). We decided to join the others in the pub near the Museum of Science and Industry, so we left and walked the mile or so. My left foot was so bad that I limped.

We found the museum OK – but where was the pub? Fortunately, Milla had taken her map, so after some searching we eventually found it. Lots of people were there, talking and having beer or tea. I was delighted to make the acquaintance of Purple Blossom – well, that's what I initially understood, but he turned out to be Bluebottle.

Bluebottle with purple bottle badge.

Near the appointed time, we went over to the museum where lots more researchers had gathered. We spent a nice time looking at the exhibits, making a train ride and chatting to old friends and new. Some of us stopped by the pub again for a drink, then Milla and I went back to our hotel to change.

This time, we found the pub right away, which was a relief because walking was a pain for me. Lots and lots of h2g2 researchers came to the meet – I won't list them all here, it would take too long. I had a great evening despite spoiling a safe win for my quiz team by convincing them that the gurus had no badge smiley - blush, but nobody held it against me. Again there was h2g2 beer (I had forgotten about it and had Fosters) and there were Pangalactic Gargle Blasters. TRiG was so nice to let me take a sip of his, and I decided it wasn't for me; but it was a hit with lots of the people, as was the h2g2 beer.

The cocktail card featuring the pangalactic gargle blaster.

Minichessemouse won the prize for the best name badge, with Titania and somebody else (Pegasus ?) getting honorary mentions. Ivan the inflatable kangaroo attracted the attention of a small group of students who were absolutely crazy about him. We all had a fantastic time, but as the evening advanced the pub got more crowded and noisier, so some suggested to move to the bar in the Ibis hotel, so we'd be able to have some conversations. Those who either stayed at the Ibis or lived locally (or not too far away) assembled at the Ibis. I think it was about one am when Milla and I left for our hotel. I've never before stayed at a meet that late.

Sunday

Both Milla's and my flight were due at 12.20pm, so we got up early, packed, then went for breakfast. Getting to the airport was nearly as easy as thought and we made it there without much hassle. While checking in we met Tavaron, whose plane was due earlier than ours. We walked through the shopping area (in fact, Manchester airport is one huge shop!), then waved Tav goodbye. A bit later, it was time to say goodbye to Milla.

Conclusion

It was a fantastic meet. I have no idea why Manchester is called the rain city. It didn't rain. It hailed. smiley - tongueincheek Mancunians are exceedingly friendly and helpful. The air humidity is so high that I suffered three 'mad hair' days1 (and I suspect it affected my brain, too). If you've never been to a meet, try to make it one day. Have a local one if England is too far away.

The h2g2 Meets Archive

Bel

27.02.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Bad hair days doesn't even come close to the state my hair was in.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87744108

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more