The Post 'Famous Last Words' Quiz: Answers

0 Conversations

How well did you know your famous last words?
Full disclosure: While working on this feature, your editor accidentally deleted the entire Post file folder from his computer. Getting it back took an hour.
Famous last words: 'Look before you click!' I love that little doggy that finds my lost stuff.

The Post 'Famous Last Words' Quiz

An hourglass.

A. Where is my clock?

Salvador Dali. Maybe the great painter was afraid it was melting.

B. French Canadian bean soup... I want to pay, let them leave me alone...

Dutch Schultz. Dutch Schultz, whose real name was Arthur Flegenheimer, was a notorious gangster. He'd been shot, and he wasn't making a lot of sense, which made things hard for the police stenographer who was recording his dying verbiage.

C. This is absurd! This is absurd!

Sigmund Freud. Sometimes, Dr Freud, it just is was it is.

D. Strike the tent.

Robert E Lee. The famous general must have been ready to pull up stakes and move on to a better place.

A Greek philosopher.

E. Don't disturb my circles!

Archimedes. A rude soldier was disturbing the great mathematician at work. Unfortunately, Archimedes didn't get to finish what he was working on.

F. I told you I was ill.

Spike Milligan. Milligan thought this one up ahead of time, and had it carved on his tombstone. Actually, it says it in Irish, because the Chichester diocese thought it was frivolous and wouldn't approve it otherwise.

G. Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here.

Nostradamus. Being a seer, he just had to have the last word. At least that prediction came true.

H. Kaputt.

According to Sergeant Ted Smout of the Australian Medical Corps, it was Manfred von Richthofen. The Red Baron had just crashed his Fokker, you see.

Executioner poised to chop off m'Lady's head

I. Pardon me, sir. I did not do it on purpose.

Marie Antoinette. The poor queen had just stepped on her executioner's foot. Polite to the last, you have to admire that.

J. You be good. See you tomorrow. I love you.

Alex, the grey parrot.You knew that, didn't you? Alex, an African grey, worked with Dr Irene Pepperberg for thirty years. His premature death at only 31 was a setback for research into parrot intelligence, but Dr Pepperberg has claimed that Alex was as clever as a five-year-old human.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

02.04.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87750020

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more