October Quiz: Answers

0 Conversations

How insightful were you about our 10th month?

October: Answers

A rare red squirrel - found in large numbers along the Sefton Coastal Footpath.

Here's the skinny on October.

  1. 'Octo' means 'eight'. October is the tenth month. Who is responsible for this outrage?
    The Romans, of course. October was their eighth month, but then we added January and February, so the numbers got a little mixed up.
  2. When do the people of Munich start swilling all that beer on the Wies'n?
    Oktoberfest starts in September. This year, it's 22 September till 7 October. Beer, Lederhosen, and drinking songs. Prost!
  3. Whose October birthday was chosen for the International Day of Non-Violence?
    Mahatma Gandhi's. His birthday is 2 October. So be nice on that day (and all the other days, too).
  4. US citizens all know about Columbus Day, the sometimes-controversial observance of that Italian gentleman's 'discovery' of America. What other great European explorer is honoured in October?
    Leif Eriksson. Norwegian Americans are particularly fond of this holiday, which is celebrated on 9 October, to mark the 1825 arrival of the first organised Norwegian settlers. (The Vikings were disorganised settlers, ask the Indians.)
  5. What do Canadians do in October that people in the US do in November?
    Celebrate Thanksgiving. If you said 'their Christmas shopping', shame on you. They probably wait until the last minute like everyone else.
  6. What do Romanians celebrate on 25 October, and why did it happen on this day?
    Liberation in World War II. The 25th is Armed Forces Day in Romania. It marks the day when Carei was liberated and the last foreign troops swept from Romanian soil. They could have done this the day before – they'd already reached the Hungarian border – but they waited one more day. To give King Mihai I a birthday present. (Wasn't that nice?)
  7. A Greek soldier performs ceremonial guard duty. A Presidential guard marches with his rifle at the tomb of the unknown soldier, in front of parliament in central Athens.
  8. Speaking of patriotic holidays, what did the Greeks all say on 28 October, 1940?
    'Ωχι'. Which being translated, means 'No!' (or, 'DO NOT WANT!') Who said it? Prime Minister Ioannis Metaxas. Who did he say it to? Benito Mussolini. What was Mussolini demanding? You can guess. The Greeks celebrate their fierce resistance to occupation during World War II on this day.
  9. Why in the world do people dress up in funny costumes on 31 October? Who started this?
    The Druids. Okay, probably not the funny costumes bit, though you might ask Getafix about it. 31 October is Samhain, the Celtic New Year. The funny costumes and amusingly carved pumpkins came later.
  10. What significant sound was first heard on 4 October, 1957, and what did it mean?
    It sounded like this. Exactly like that, in fact: it was Sputnik, the Soviet-launched first artificial satellite. It was about the size of a beach ball, but it changed our lives. For one thing, it meant all of us kids were going to start learning a lot more maths.
  11. Can you name two great Irishmen who were born in October?
    Oscar Wilde and Eamon de Valera. Those are our two: you may know others. On the 16th and 14th, respectively (but in different years). The Irish will be cussed here and argue about their greatness. Okay, but we insist on Wilde.

If you got most of them, brag all month. If not, spread the discomfort by showing this quiz to your friends. We bet they don't say, 'Ωχι.'

One of Clive the Flying Ostrich's Halloween pumpkin carvings
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

01.10.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87772341

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more