Freebie Film Tip #6: Boop-Boop-A-Doop, and Other Shocking Things

1 Conversation

Freebie Film Tip #6: Boop-Boop-A-Doop, and Other Shocking Things

This one will take you back. Our first cartoon for today is The Old Man of the Mountain, starring everybody's sweetheart, Betty Boop. This one's an early one – always a plus – from 1933, with Cab Calloway. Surrealism and scat singing. Enjoy, then come back for more.

The 1920s and early 1930s were the era of the flapper. A flapper was a liberated woman, fearless, in control of her own body and her own destiny, sexy, self-assured, and forward-looking. She was sort of a pre-feminist post-feminist, if you get my meaning. Betty certainly fit the bill.

As you can read from her website, Betty started life as a dog, which explains why her bf, Bimbo, is a canine. Strange, but that's the Max Fleischer universe for you. A place Marcel Duchamp would love to inhabit, one suspects. Jean-Paul Sartre and Gertrude Stein were on record as Boopophiles.

Betty's a femme fatale feminist. She doesn't need rescuing. She rescues herself, repeatedly. It's the flapper way.

Max Fleischer's cartoons had an urban, jazz-fueled sensibility. They were innovative.

I have no idea whether this film was banned by the Hayes Office for promoting drug use. (Don't believe everything you read on Youtube.) 'Laughing gas' was a common dentistry tool in the old days. But it is a mind-blowing cartoon.

For sheer surrealism, Bimbo's Initiation can't be beat. Don't try to explain it, just enjoy.

I'm sure it has a deep esoteric meaning. Also, that Edgar Allen Poe would have loved it.

Louis Armstrong playing the trumpet.
Freebie Film Tips Archive

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87776527

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more