Babe Among The Stars: Stargazing Live

0 Conversations

Galaxy Babe's column banner, showing a full moon and some little folk looking up at the sky

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth - Ptolemy

Stargazing Live report

Stargazing Live which was on the BBC on 8 ,9 and 10 January was its usual hit, I don't know the actual viewing figures but there were plenty of people talking about it on social media. I am pleased to say they gave much prominence to Comet ISON which I first mentioned in my November BATS! In conjunction with Stargazing Live, my local astronomy club had open nights on Friday 11th and Saturday 12th. I attended on the Friday night, taking along my walking partner Lynda, an astronomy novice. One of our members had put together a presentation – a slide show of images taken with our own 16 inch refracting telescope and CCD camera – with a detailed explanation of some features on the Moon, how the Galilean moons of Jupiter change from night to night and stills of Saturn over many years, showing how the fabulous rings alter from our perspective. Lynda seemed to enjoy it and when I asked her afterwards if it was understandable, she said it was, so well done Mike! Friday night was extremely well attended, in fact there was standing room only for late-comers. I didn't go on the Saturday and at the time of writing I don't know yet how well that went. I hope it was as successful as the Friday evening was.

February 2013 Diary Dates

  • 01: The Moon passes 0.3° south of Spica (alpha Virginis)
  • 03: The Moon passes 3° south of Saturn
  • 07: The Moon is at perigee (closest to Earth)
  • 08: Mercury and Mars pass within 0.3°
  • 10: New Moon
  • 10: Chinese New Year (the Year of the Snake)
  • 11: The Moon passes 5° north of Mercury
  • 13: The Moon passes 4° north of Uranus
  • 18: The Moon passes 1° south of Jupiter
  • 19: The Moon is at apogee (furthest from Earth)
  • 25: Full Moon (the Snow Moon)

  • Chat about your celestial observances at the H2G2 Astronomy Society. Comment on anything in this edition of Babe Among The Stars by starting a new conversation below.

Babe Among the Stars Archive

Galaxy Babe

28.01.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87783501

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more