Super Market IV

0 Conversations

The Classic Goo monster in an h2g2 T shirtHello, and welcome to the fourth edition of Super Market, the monthly update of everything exciting taking place in h2g2's own Flea Market.

Edited Flea Market Rescues

This month we are proud to announce that five Flea Market Rescues have been Edited!

Florida Sailor has rescued Tonsil Revenge's A2936810 to create Buddy Holly - Singer/Songwriter.

BeowulfShaffer's Brave New World has been rescued as 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley.

theenglishman101's Quintus Sertorius article has been rescued as Quintus Sertorius - Roman General.

Sonic the Hedgehog games

Jenny_Tablina's The Sonic The hedgehog series,spin offs and secrets has been rescued as The Sonic the Hedgehog Series and Spin-offs: 1991-1999.

Various Charm quotations

Pheroneous II has rescued earlier incarnation Pheroneous's entry on Charm to create Charm.

This brings the total of Flea Market Rescues to 227, a remarkable achievement considering the total at the start of the year was 202.

Recommended Rescues

Since the last issue, three Flea Market Rescues have been recommended from Peer Review!

We look forward to seeing these on the front page soon!

Interview with a Scavenger

To learn more about the Flea Market, it's a good idea to talk to some of the people who have done it. In this issue we interview Bobstafford, who has eight credited Flea Market Rescue to his name, putting him in joint 4th place for most rescues done (along with Galaxy Babe and Bluebottle):

  1. Staffordshire, England, UK
    Original:  Deleted entry by Number Six & others

  2. The Life Of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots
    Original:   Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots by Steffi

  3. The Battle of Turnham Green 1642
    Original:   The Civil War.Brentford and Turnham Green by OldBerk

  4. Japan for the Visitor
    Original:  Japan by Opticalillusion

  5. Japanese History and Culture
    Original:  Japanese Culture by U220737

  6. Contemporary Japan
    Original:  A Brief History of the Japanese State and its Politics by Dermarschall

  7. Citizenship in the Roman Republic
    Original:  Patricians, Plebs and Proles - Class and Citizenship in the Roman Republic by Blackberry Cat

  8. Oliver Cromwell: Lord Protector of the Commonwealth
    Original:  Oliver Cromwell by Mr Dreadful

Bluebottle: What made you decide to rescue these?

bobstafford: They were all things I am interested in, and have knowledge of very familiar subjects in some cases. They were notable entries in their own right, landmark entries if you like. Even though the subjects were of some importance though not of interest to all.

Japanese history especially is a neglected aspect in many ways but has strong parallels with, our own being a militaristic in nature, although more extreme example in some aspects.

Why I rescued each entry:

  • Staffordshire, England, UK

    I live in the area and it just fitted in with other entries I had done on the Saxon kingdoms.

  • The Life Of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

    This just had to be finished the seed that was planted and led to the Civil War.

  • The Battle of Turnham Green 1642

    A forgotten battle of some importance in this struggle.

  • Japan:

    • Japan for the Visitor
    • Japanese History and Culture
    • Contemporary Japan

    These made a nice set and needed to be linked together as the foundation for future entries on Japan.

  • Citizenship in the Roman Republic

    This was an entry that described the altitude of the Romans that passed on to later generations to form the structure of western society.

  • Oliver Cromwell: Lord Protector of the Commonwealth

    Cromwell was at the time a contender in a national vote for the most important Britain(or something like that ) so I felt it needed finishing.

All the entries were things I am interested in, and have knowledge of very familiar subjects in some cases.

The hardest of all the rescues was Mary Stewart it needed to stand out and do justice to the subject I still don't know if it succeeded. The most difficult was sorting the wealth of information and avoiding overloading the entry.

Bluebottle: There seem to be recurring themes – Japan and history - Britain in the 16th and 17th Century. Was this a conscious decision?
bobstafford: Yes it was a very conscious decision. People forget 16th and 17th Century was the turning point for England the birth of empire had roots in the Civil War, the birth of a strong Navy, and the reorganisation of the army.

Bluebottle: Would you only rescue articles about subjects you know well?
bobstafford: Yes there is no point if you don't know or are not very interested the subject, the entry will be hard going both in the writing and for the reader. Everyone is very polite I hope as others do that the entries are readable and of some interested. But to tell the truth they are as much personal notes about things I am interested in, or sorting out a chronology of a complex subject an example of which was the Roman invasion of Britain.

Bluebottle: Have you approached a Flea Market Rescue any differently to how you write an article from scratch?
bobstafford: Not really every entry needs a framework or plan, subject, order and theme. With a rescue that is there already it may need amendment but with a rescue half the work is done, The downside is that you have to check for mistakes and go over the ground again, but at least it is like following a signposted path even if you have to take a different route every now and then.

Bluebottle: Is it easier or more difficult? When you write a Flea Market rescue, how do you decide what to keep and what to edit, and how much of a right do you feel that you have in making decisions about the article?

bobstafford: It's easier, there is no doubt about that right up to the point you start writing your contribution. From this point it becomes the same as writing any entry with the added aspect of the trying to respect and support the previous author’s endeavour.

The idea is to retain something of the original, if you like not overwhelm it, remember what attracted you to the entry and try and keep it. If something has to be changed or edited out however it has to go. Happily facts are facts and seldom have to go unless they are wrong. If in doubt trust Peer Review, an unbiased opinion will be forthcoming.

There is a point where an entry is little more than a bookmark and then you have more of a free hand. When you have written more than 70% of the content, you have to decide if you contributing to their entry or are they contributing to theirs; it’s a moot point.

Bluebottle: Would you recommend doing Flea Market rescues to other researchers?
bobstafford: Yes, if nothing else it will get you started and if you can't finish you can always get help, at the last resort you always return the entry to the Flea Market with your amendments.

Bluebottle: How do you think you would feel about being on the other side, about someone else making changes to an entry you had written, if someone tried to rescue this entry?
bobstafford: Help yourself please, better a co-author than not at all and the entries are what is needed, it is what H2G2 is about. And you might be able to help by simply co-operating with someone who wants to rescue or update one of your old entries . If I did not want this to happen I could delete the entry. So if I leave it unfinished I am inviting rescue even by default.

Bluebottle: Would you rescue another article from the Flea Market?
bobstafford: Oh yes indeed, if I could rescue another I would definitely would.

Thank you very much Bobstafford for your insight into your experience in Flea Market!

New Entries to the Flea Market

These two entries have entered the Flea Market, ready to be rescued, since the last issue:

Flea Market Rescues Currently in Peer Review

These are the articles being rescued from the Flea Market that are currently in Peer Review. Why not help by reviewing the new version of the article?
Aricles in Bold are new entries which have been submitted since Issue III of SuperMarket was published.

Article Being RescuedConversationRescuerOriginal
'Discworld Noir' - the GamePeer ReviewGeggs & BluebottleDiscworld NOIR by [...]
STV - the Single Transferable VotePeer ReviewNosebagbadgerSingle Transferable Vote (STV) by Kia Shuma
Atoms and Isotopes: Pre-university LevelPeer Reviewmikeyc0312Atoms and isotopes - A level Standard by nicki

The Development of the English County
Peer ReviewBluebottleEnglish Counties, The Real Counties by Ianorth
The Sonic the Hedgehog Series and Spin-offs: 2000-2004Peer ReviewBluebottleThe Sonic The hedgehog series,spin offs and secrets by Jenny_Tablina

Everyone who reads through and comments upon these articles helps to make it the best it can be!

Articles about ?

Here is a selection of Articles remaining in the Flea Market and awaiting a rescuer. To tie in with Create, this month's theme is Travel and Places.

EntryAuthor
A Beginner's Guide to Air TravelPelegrhino
A Comprehensive Guide To The Bars and Pubs Of Iraqrogviletheunwieldy
Albania, History ofsamvak
Brief History of Modern Lithuaniaskypiglet
Bulgariaairorangefire
Bunbury, Western AustraliaAshnak
Cambodia: Quick and Dirtyryuncp
Cheap Survival In New Yorkkentucklz
Chechnyacombattant pour liberte
CopenhagenOB1 (retired)
Corning, NyNeo Stryfe
Crosby Villageunifoon
Cyprus - Transport in Cyprus (1)Englesos
Cyprus - Transport in Cyprus (2)Englesos
Driving in Cyprus - The HighwayEnglesos
Survival In CyprusMr. Mouflon
Dalton (NSW, Australia)Politas
EnglandTrillian
Farmingdale, Long Island, NY, USA Brick Jesus
Greenville, North Carolinakennith13
How to prepare for your first triathlonactivecathy
Hunstville AlabamaThereIsNoTry
Italia, etymology - ITALY (name)alberto Lupi
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, USAStahlion
Lubbock, Texas, USAwynneth
MacedoniaMacedonian
Memphis, TennesseeChipc3
Missouri Stream Teams: Grassroots Conservation That WorksRip Cobalt, man of action
Munich: Interesting ChurchesGemini
NavrongoResearcher 229475
Norfolk - the bootiful EastAgProv2
Petrin Hill, Prague, Czech RepublicNumber Six
Public Transit in Vancouver, B.C., CanadaDisplaced_Hiker
Sailing on the seas of earth - The basic rules!Mcnala - Sailing, an addiction
SalouBIRIYANI IS BACK FROM SALOU
Springfield, Massachusetts, USAdiceydanny
St Petersburg, RussiaThe Researcher formerly known as 127355
Steps Beach of Rincon, Puerto Ricocoronacolada
The Best On Earth In Perthtadpole
The Fox Valley, Illinois, USAResearcher Eagle 1
The French Riviera - Idiosyncrasies Lissu
The town of DunoonZaphod
The Truth about PhilmontPhoenix
The Yorkshire Dales - Heaven on Earth?ubernorman
Traveling Through The Darien Gapjzzyprin93
Tucson, Arizona, USAQrellonious
VågenBumblebee
Whistler, BC, CanadaResearcher 201939

So if you have been to any of these places, why not rescue one of these?

EntryFlea Market ConversationAuthor

Browsing Flea Market

Thanks to an idea by Florida Sailor, browsing the Flea Market is easier than ever! Before, researchers were expected to scroll through endless pages of entries, which is very discouraging when you want to quickly look through all the available entries. Now a link to help view all the entries in Flea Market has been added to the Flea Market page. This makes it easier to see all of the listed entries contained within!

And Remember...

The Flea Market needs You!

A reader of the h2g2 Post

The Bluebottle Archive

The Bluebottle Archive

Bluebottle

01.04.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87789776

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more